Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Community service announcement...."86" your truffle oil, please.

2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    does she have the same reaction to foods where it occurs naturally?
    i think shrooms are high in it, for example.  fish sauce too.  stuff like that
    No, haven't noticed that.  I realize it might be a psychosomatic response to the taste, which is distinct - one of our five taste senses.  But a psychosomatic response is a real response.
    Stike, the wife (yes, the wife who....) suffers chronic migraines and MSG will trigger them.  She has had them when I've gotten something at the store with MSG and forgot to check.  She'll get the migraine and then ask what was in that thing, and we get the box out of the trash, and then I go in the doghouse for a little while.  So, it affects here if she knows it and if she doesn't know it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    All i know is it's always some poor bastard's wife. Gahahah
    No men seem to suffer from the affliction, and it hasnt been reproduced in a clinical situation.

But other than that, i'm sure it's real. :)) (ducks quickly)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nolaegghead
    Personally, I love the taste of MSG.  Adds a little je ne sais quoi to a dish.  I used to buy the stuff from the Hong Kong market on the West bank by the pound. 
    I am not a chemist nor a food snob. If it tastes good to you, your friends, and your family, who cares about the ingredients. Let's get back to basics and cook food that tastes good.
  • nolaegghead
    Bust out the fried Twinkies!
    I am not a chemist nor a food snob. If it tastes good to you, your friends, and your family, who cares about the ingredients. Let's get back to basics and cook food that tastes good.
    hhm.. well I am a food snob, and while not specialized in food chemistry, I know that certain foods have certain reactions to certain people.
    I think the conversation moved on from being a foodie who is interested in what he's eating before he eats it (which is, incidentally, how I cook/eat food), but to MSG and the negative effects it can have.
    As it is, just because food tastes good it doesn't mean it should be eaten. :)
    I love the taste of fois gras spread on lightly toasted brioche with a glass of crisp, young chardonnay.. 
    Doesn't mean I'm going to or should eat it..

• nolaegghead
    I'm definitely a foodie.  I love to cook and eat gourmet food.  Love to cook technical dishes...nothing like a challenge.  There's plenty of bad-for-you food out there, and usually they have some excessive combination of the holy trinity of fat, sugar and salt.   I love fois gras, but it's high in calories and not something I'd eat often (although high in fat, it's low in bad fat).  Trick is to eat in moderation.  I'm less hungry after sweating in the kitchen for a few hours, so that's my diet plan.
    If you are going to be a snob about one thing, you can't really be upset about snobbery from others.

Just sayin

As an aside, the phrase 'taste of fois gras spread on a lightly toasted brioche with a glass of young crisp chardonnay' makes me want to run out and buy a mesh speedo. I mean, if i needed another one

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nolaegghead
    Oh, the humanity!  I'm scarred for life with that visualization....
    If you are going to be a snob about one thing, you can't really be upset about snobbery from others.

Just sayin

As an aside, the phrase 'taste of fois gras spread on a lightly toasted brioche with a glass of young crisp chardonnay' makes me want to run out and buy a mesh speedo. I mean, if i needed another one

EVERYONE needs a mesh speedo.
  • nolaegghead
    I heard Speedo's come out with a new mesh line called "Tea-bags"....
    How does on tell a fake truffle oil from a real truffle oil?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • This was by far your dumbest thread.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Not even close John.  Thanks though
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga