Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Propane charcoal starter

jenericzac
jenericzac Posts: 121
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, I'm picking up my first egg tomorrow and wanted to make a propane charcoal starter. I've seen pictures where it just looks like a torch with some tubing and a piece of metal on the end but was wondering if there is a particular way to build it, eg. a particular type of tubing or a way to shape the metal tube. Thanks

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Making one sounds cool, but you can buy them at "Harbor Frieght" for approx $15. It hooks to a std gas grill type tank.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Just go to harbor freight and buy a weed burner. About $20-25. I assume that's what you're talking about.

Welcome to the madhouse!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jenericzac
    I'll look into the weed burner, but I've seen pictures where people just stick a tube into the charcoal and they have the tank mounted remotely. I was thinking something more along those lines.
  • As a minimum safety glasses are recommended - I stand back, bend my knees slightly, feet just outside my armpits, head steady, use a conventional grip, and rip it.

IMG_1428800x600.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Wonder if you are talking about the Club.

The Guru folks (folks that make the DigiQ) make what is called a club. Sort of looks like a golf club. The club attaches via a tube to the propane bottle. I have wondered how well the club works.

There are some YouTube video's showing it's use.

Now, if you are thinking of just an open tube from a unregulated tank into the lump, is that something you would think of doing?

GG
  • Bacchus
    You could attach a longer hose to the WB, and have the tank wherever you want it. Just seems that at $15, it would be a good head start rather than fabricating something from scratch.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Buy a weed burner at Harbor Frieght--live to tell about it.
  • jenericzac
    I guess the club is what I'm talking about then. I'll look into that. I wouldn't dream of attatching a hose to an unregulated tank. I might as well just get a flame thrower at that point.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    pull the trigger on that weed burner.. seems like a flame thrower!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Welcome....You must be looking for this.....?

http://www.thebbqguru.com/pages/The-BBQ-Guru-Golf-Club-%2d-5-in1-BBQ-Tool.html

Been using the golf club for years, and LOVE it!!! And it is a MAPP gas (edited)tank, not propane....fyi.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I think this is what you want. http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

I wear a welder's glove on my left hand to hold the tube a little above the grip and use my right hand to open the valve, light the gas and work the "trigger" while holding the grip with my right hand. Bit too much trigger and you get a mighty blast and a bit of kickback from the torch... Fastest way to get up to cooking temp, though. Also cleans the cooking grid in a jiffy if you forgot to do a cleaning burn after the last cook.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Little Chef, the bottle shown is a MAPP gas bottle not butane in that picture. Yellow bottles are MAPP, blue bottles are butane.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    THA...My bad...you are absolutely correct!! I questioned myself, but was too lazy to go to the shed to check the tank. :blush: I will edit my post...thank for the correction!! :)
  • Bacchus
    I've had my weed burner for 2 years now. It still seems hard to believe that you can go to a retail store, and without showing any sort of ID, easily and cheaply buy something that attaches to a gas grill tank and shoots a 6ft flame. B)
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    I've used my Harbor Freight Weedburner for over 5 years now, and have never used the "Trigger". The round knob gives me more than enough firepower.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    I use a Mapp gas trigger unit, one tank of mapp and the locking trigger igniter, one tank has lasted more then 5 years now, even with copper pipe repairs around the house.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    I use a Mapp gas trigger unit, one tank of mapp and the locking trigger igniter, one tank has lasted more then 5 years now, even with copper pipe repairs around the house.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Is there really that much difference? MAPP is a little hotter.

Also, too many use the name butane generacally for butane, propane, mix. Most you buy for the big home tanks is usually a mix or propane. Butane will freeze up with medium low temps.

I am one guilty of using the term butane for all of them, too :silly:
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    OK - you have several suggestions: the guru club, a propane weed burner. I'd suggest a MAPP gas torch. It looks just like the propane torch but the gas bottle is yellow instead of blue. I use one and it takes exactly 60 seconds to get a fire started. My son did not want to pay the extra bucks (the MAPP torch is more expensive than the propane torch and you CANNOT use the MAPP gas with a propane torch) and bought a propane torch. It works also but requires 120 seconds to establish a good fire. I got the MAPP torch with a hose so I just turn it on, use a sparker to light it (they also have a self igniting version) and stick the end about three inches away from the lump I want to light. 60 seconds later I cut it off, put the grill back on and close the top dome with all vents open.
  • jn_austin
    jn_austin Posts: 29
    I built one similar to the commercial unit above. Works great.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    OK - you have several suggestions: the guru club, a propane weed burner. I'd suggest a MAPP gas torch. It looks just like the propane torch but the gas bottle is yellow instead of blue. I use one and it takes exactly 60 seconds to get a fire started. My son did not want to pay the extra bucks (the MAPP torch is more expensive than the propane torch and you CANNOT use the MAPP gas with a propane torch) and bought a propane torch. It works also but requires 120 seconds to establish a good fire. I got the MAPP torch with a hose so I just turn it on, use a sparker to light it (they also have a self igniting version) and stick the end about three inches away from the lump I want to light. 60 seconds later I cut it off, put the grill back on and close the top dome with all vents open.
    I have MAPP canisters connected to both my propane torches.  Same connector.  Are you talking about something other than the canisters?
    edited July 2012
    I think he means that you shouldn't connect a propane rated torch to Mapp gas. Although wise made that post 2 years ago, so we may never know. In this place.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Golfanatic
    Golfanatic Posts: 33
    Good discussion!  Now I feel really silly using those Weber starter cubes lol
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    i have a MAPP torch with a rubber hose attached the tank. Takes a long time to light 3-5 good spots. I almost always use my weed burner for anything but low and slow cooks. $20 from harbor freight delivered, I've been using it for almost a year and still haven't gone thru one propane tank. Lights it fast, cleans the grills real fast. And if you live in a snowy icy place it's fun to just melt away the snow on the driveway

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Small shop torch, works great
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    i have a MAPP torch with a rubber hose attached the tank. Takes a long time to light 3-5 good spots. I almost always use my weed burner for anything but low and slow cooks. $20 from harbor freight delivered, I've been using it for almost a year and still haven't gone thru one propane tank. Lights it fast, cleans the grills real fast. And if you live in a snowy icy place it's fun to just melt away the snow on the driveway

I have one of those...never used it.  Maybe I could permanently rig it up to my egg table.....