Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potato wedges help

booksw
booksw Posts: 470
edited July 2012 in Sides
I have read a lot of different techniques for making steak fries/potato wedges/grilled french fries and I am planning on making some tonight to go with ribeye (yes I am going for another TRex ribeye with the knowledge that there is NO WAY it can be as good the second time).  The issue with the potatoes I am having is that I don't want to reset the grill to indirect and I am hoping I don't have to...?  I am going to finish off the steak at around 400 and then I was thinking of using the grill basket for the potatoes and not pre-boiling them- I will toss them in olive oil salt and pepper and then use the basket closed dome- opening every 2 minutes to toss- I will use yukon gold?  While the potatoes are going in the basket, I will have room around the edges to grill plum tomatoes and squash...?  Any comments, tips, appreciated!  Thanks!
Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've done grilled potato slices.  Used Russet baking potatoes, sliced about 1/3 inch thick, tossed in olive oil, then salt, pepper and a little garlic powder.  Grilled direct at 400, turning frequently until lightly browned (dome closed when not turning - you quickly learn where the hot spots are and rotate the slices in and out)  As they browned, I moved them to the edges of the grate for more of an indirect to finish cooking.  
    edited July 2012
    thanks!  Do you slice them across to make round slices, or up and down to make long oblong slices...?  I like the idea of using Russets- seems more "steak and potato" somehow
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I've done grilled potato slices.  Used Russet baking potatoes, sliced about 1/3 inch thick, tossed in olive oil, then salt, pepper and a little garlic powder.  Grilled direct at 400, turning frequently until lightly browned (dome closed when not turning - you quickly learn where the hot spots are and rotate the slices in and out)  As they browned, I moved them to the edges of the grate for more of an indirect to finish cooking.  
    +1 to the above.  I bought a veggie pan from BGE that is great for potatoes and pizza.  I do the potatoes just like you described, but I can just rotate the pan around.  Try a little Dizzy Dust on them sometime.  It is great.
  • I made steak fries recently and boiled first, then finished on the grill direct at about 400. Turned out great.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • booksw
    Brewcityegger- this is the very photo, you posted it last week I think, that got me thinking about making them!  What kind of potatoes did you use?  If I can figure out a way to do it without dirtying a pan I would like to try- too lazy to boil first. BUT- I want mine to look like yours... :) That slaw (I remember you said it had left over grilled corn in it- impressive!) and the burger look amazing too.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    +1 to the above.  I bought a veggie pan from BGE that is great for potatoes and pizza.  I do the potatoes just like you described, but I can just rotate the pan around.  Try a little Dizzy Dust on them sometime.  It is great.
    thanks!  What kind of potatoes do you use?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Tjcoley
    thanks!  Do you slice them across to make round slices, or up and down to make long oblong slices...?  I like the idea of using Russets- seems more "steak and potato" somehow
    I slice across to make them round.  Leave skins on
    MDHog Posts: 43
    Grilled potato slices is one of the family favorites in my house. I use either Yukon Gold or sweet potatoes. 

slide about 1/3-1/2 inch--key for me is to parboil them first. 2 minutes in wave works fine as well. Otherwise they tend to get too browned on the outside before they are done in the middle. 

Love the Raging river rub on these. 

• booksw
    Thanks everyone.  I think you guys are right about par boiling them ahead of time.  I didn't do it and they turned out good but dry.  I used russet potatoes, cut them into rounds about 1/3" thick and tossed/brushed them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh parsley.  Maybe I needed more oil... Anyway, they turned out tasty and a good compliment to the ribeyes but they were dry... (and like MDHog said, "too browned on the outside").  LIVE and LEARN.  Thanks again- I love having you all to bounce these ideas off!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, my honey-do list was pretty long today, but a managed to do some runs anyways and got a 4 mile run in.

I used russet potatoes too.
  • I wonder if you could boil a bunch of potatoes cut them and them freeze them for later use. I suppose you could just buy a bag, but something to be said about home made fries.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    That is a great idea, why no par cook, freeze, and just thaw the day you want them.  When it is time throw on the egg!  I think it should work!  Anyone have any experience with it?
  • booksw
    I wonder if you even have to thaw them
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    One of the best potato sides I've ever had was a my good friend's 4 th of July Celebration this past Wednesday at his colonial house in the historic district of down town Lincolton. We had Ribeyes on his BGE accompanied by something he call crazy potoates or crazy salt potatoes. He cut the baking potatoes in half and friend the bottom half on a cast iron skillet in his egg with something he called crazy salt. It was to die for and I'm hungry again!!!!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I make them probably once a week.  Cut whole potatoes the long way in 1/4's.  Put in a bowl and cover in olive oil or whatever you have.  Dump your favorite rub on.  Mix to coat.  Put around edge of egg so they're semi-indirect skin side down.  About 20-30 minutes they're done.  No par boiling.  Brown and crisp on the outside, moist and soft on the inside.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• booksw
    Thanks!  What do you mean by "cover" when you say "cover in olive oil"?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Thanks!  What do you mean by "cover" when you say "cover in olive oil"?
    I just drizzle oil over the top, dump some rub on and then stir em up like I'm tossing salad to coat evenly.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Tjcoley
    One of the best potato sides I've ever had was a my good friend's 4 th of July Celebration this past Wednesday at his colonial house in the historic district of down town Lincolton. We had Ribeyes on his BGE accompanied by something he call crazy potoates or crazy salt potatoes. He cut the baking potatoes in half and friend the bottom half on a cast iron skillet in his egg with something he called crazy salt. It was to die for and I'm hungry again!!!!
    For Crazy Salt:

In blender or pepper mill, blend or grind together:

1/2 cup sea salt

1 Tbsp Accent* (do not use if sensitive to MSG)

1 tsp dried dill weed

1 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp chili powder

1/4 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp sage

1/4 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp marjoram

Finely grated rind of one lemon

that sounds really good.  I have a cast iron skillet but I have never used it in the BGE.  Anything to be wary of...?  Thanks!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    I cut the russets in half and each half in three triangles.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, granulated garlic and some chopped garlic.  Put in a bag with olive oil and let marinate an hour or two.  Top of the swing rack direct at 450 and they're done in 20 minutes with no parboiling.  They do take a bit of tending and flipping.  A great side for burgers and steaks because those don't take long enough to finish two beers.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    I cut the russets in half and each half in three triangles.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, granulated garlic and some chopped garlic.  Put in a bag with olive oil and let marinate an hour or two.  Top of the swing rack direct at 450 and they're done in 20 minutes with no parboiling.  They do take a bit of tending and flipping.  A great side for burgers and steaks because those don't take long enough to finish two beers.
    The cayenne is optional.  I sprinkle some on when they hit the grill
    1.jpg 351.5K
    2.jpg 385.3K
    3.jpg 278.6K
    4.jpg 555.4K
    5.jpg 576.2K
    6.jpg 464.3K
    7.jpg 471.4K
    My actuary says I'm dead.