Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some inspiration for my BGE surrounded in stone

Beefer
Beefer Posts: 41
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Lover of my large BGE for 8 years now, built my own standardish cedar table which does the job.  Building a new home right now, and am about to start an outdooor fireplace at the end of a covered porch.  The fireplace will be made out of the same granite type stone blocks as the rest of the stone on the house (height mostly 8 inch with variable widths).

My plan is to extend the fireplace to one side to incorporate my egg.  The structure will be made out of the same stones, and the width will be somewhere between 4-5 feet (no room for wider).  Depth isn't an issue, probably about 27-30 inches.  I've searched around, but haven't really found any pictures that are a similar setup.  It's tough to find any eggs set in stone at all.  So, if anyone knows of any pictures that would help, I'd be grateful for the link or pic.  Also, here's a couple of things going through my head:

-- I think I like the look of the egg set inside a slab of granite, so that it is enclosed rather than completely open in front which i've seen a few times.  Will cost me more to do the slab, but it looks unfinished to me otherwise.  Thoughts?
-- I could do the top out of the same stones as the rest of it, would look more uniform, and might save a few bucks.  Downside is I wouldn't have a smooth top and would have mortar to contend with.
-- The area in front of the egg will be open so the bottom vent gets it's air, but what should I do about the area under the slab or bricks that the egg would sit on?  Would be nice to have the storage space, especially for lump, but might look better if it was faced with stone.
--  If egg is on one side (the left in this case), what do I do about the space on the right under the table?  There are two areas, one at level the egg sits on, and underneath that to the floor.  I definitely need some storage here.  If I leave it open, will look a little messy.  How do I cover it?   I think a wood door looks a little out of place give the rest of the area is all stone, and stainless just doesn't seem right.  However, something needs to be done, would love to see your pics and read your opinions.

Thanks for listening all, I welcome and appreciate all feedback.

Beefer

Comments

• HavasuTom
    HavasuTom Posts: 13
    You might get some ideas from this link:

Also, if you have not already done so, check out the Naked Whiz site:

Look at page 9 - The Stormy Dog

Lake Havasu, Arizona 

Size does matter - XL BGE

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Tom, thanks for that NW link, haven't seen that before. Should be a good hour or so wasted dreaming on a nice setup!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • I have a pic for you that I will dig up but I do not recommend setting you egg in stone. My bro in law did his XL this way and it seriously hampers the egg from cooling down when you do a sear and then want to roast (T-Rex steaks etc). All the stone around it heats up and it takes hours (many hours) for it to cool down once you fire it up when insulated by all the extra stone. I was going to do pizzas for dinner and then a brisket overnight. It took 4 hours to cool down and we had to skip the brisket because we couldn't get it down to temp. His front is open but he actually mortared it in to this rock structure (not smart) and it really takes a huge part of cooking with the egg (hi to low temps) out of the picture (and voids his warranty I'm sure). 

I say give it plenty of room to breathe if you can.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Here is the setup I was talking about.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Have you tried Goggle Images of BGE?? Seems to me there many be a few pictures for your viewing pleasure. Good luck with the planning stages.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Beefer
    Beefer Posts: 41
    thanks for your comments.  Tom - nothing on the watsons site really applies for what i'm looking for.  Trying to find pics where it's right beside a large fireplace.  Been through wiz's stuff before, great site but i don't see a similar design.  Cen-Tex, thanks for the tip and the pic.  Mortaring it is a bit crazy!  I was debating as to whether i needed to still use my patio stone on top of the brick.  I will
     do so now. 

I've done a bunch of googling, plus houzz and pinterest, but no luck.  Maybe there is no elegant solution for covering up the stuff below the table?  Will put a wood door over one side probably.