Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disappointing Rib Results

Options
2»

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    I see Ribs are like babies, they are brought into this world on their own schedule. I love that.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options

I pulled the membrane off the backside as instructed in the Car Wash Mike instructions.  Another issue was that I put them on the grill at 1 p.m.   By 6 p.m. everyone was hungry and I thought they were done, but now I see where they could have used some more time.  I will have to start earlier next time. 

I see Ribs are like babies, they are brought into this world on their own schedule.

Lots of people make the same mistake Gump by thinking time.  There is an old saying in Q, "it is done when it is done".  The good news is you could have had them done at 4 pm.  Wrapped in HD alum foi, a couple of towels and a cooler and they would have been perfect at 6. 
  • Richngreen
    Options
    I do mine at 215 for 5 to 6 hours depending on thickness...plate setter, legs up, on a VRP ....apple chunks, cherry chips, my special rub. I've won 9 contests this year with it....once I pull the ribs, I wrap them in foil until I can't wait any longer....makes them more tender.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I would think the grate is hotter than the dome.....thermodynamics laws are consistent inside BGE's right?

Until you put te platesetter in
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

+ 1  - plate setter makes it kinda like a convection oven in a way.     Dome may be 30-40 degrees warmer than the grill.

Cookin in Texas
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Cook'em till the meat starts sliding up the boneimage
    Exactly.....I never use a internal temp fer my ribs.....Once they pull away exposing the ribs, I'll pull em and wrap em in foil then throw back on the egg fer about 30 minutes.
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!