Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked meatloaf question

Options
Duke_sta
Duke_sta Posts: 26
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Some questions to the forum about a meatloaf cook tomorrow. And I've already read thru all the posts on the subject.

1. Was the cook supposed to be indirect for four hours until a 160 internal temp?
2. Do you apply the top sauce mixture before it goes on or the last hour of the cook?
3. What is the best way to form the loaf? In a pan or just by hand? When should I add my wood?
4. Should I place it higher in the dome with a 260 temp or on the grid with a higher temp to
Compensate?
5. How long should it rest?

I have family coming in and I wanted to make a great loaf like my fellow eggers have done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    I did mine indirect.   Sauced in last hour of cook.  I formed mine by hand and put in a cast iron skillet for the cook.     I did not smoke mine but next time will add chunks in the spot where the fire is right before I put the meat on.     I had a dome temp of 250.   My loaf was 2 pounds and took about 3 hours to cook.     I did not let is rest that long maybe 10 minutes before I cut my first piece.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Options
    I've smoked meatloaf twice so not expert by any means.

1 - Direct @ 250 until 160 internal temp. Mine hit 160 after 2 1/2 hrs, raised grid direct.
    2 - I apply sauce before placing in egg.
    3 - I form by hand. Started with chunks of mesquite just under surface of lump.
    4 - I've never cooked higher than gasket level so can't answer.
    5 - Rest 15 minutes

I put in green peppers and substituted buttermilk for the milk. 2 parts ground chuck to 1 part Italian sweet sausage.

Good luck.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Indirect at 300 dome.

Sauce last 30 minutes.
  • Hogman348
    Hogman348 Posts: 70
    Options
    wow.. lots of different ideas here. the great thing is I dont think you can go wrong.

On my meatloaf last week i formed it in a pan lined in plastic wrap so it came out easy when flipped over. i sauced it before putting on the egg.
    Wood chunks once grill got to 200+, then assembled place setter and grid and let temp hit 260.
    indirect with placesetter and drip pan @ 260 dome. put on meatloaf and wait till internal hits 160.
    rested 15 mins. enjoy!
    Woodstock, GA
  • Duke_sta
    Options
    Thanks everyone so the consensus is indirect at 260 on a raised grid?

Anymore info would be appreciated, I' m a noob and proud of it!
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    wow.. lots of different ideas here. the great thing is I dont think you can go wrong.

On my meatloaf last week i formed it in a pan lined in plastic wrap so it came out easy when flipped over. i sauced it before putting on the egg.

Wood chunks once grill got to 200+, then assembled place setter and grid and let temp hit 260.

indirect with placesetter and drip pan @ 260 dome. put on meatloaf and wait till internal hits 160.

rested 15 mins. enjoy!
    that's the way we do it and it is the bomb...am at work eating a piece of leftover meat loaf now....yes - i am a smoked meat loaf addict!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Duke_sta
    Options
    Thanks everyone I got all my questions answered. I'm doing the indirect until it hits 160. Happy Cooking!
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Everyone is killing me w/ the smoked meatloaf....then the previous post of the basket weaved meatloaf!!!!  I guess it's meatloaf this weekend!!!!  Stay tuned fer a future post!!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!