Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

standing rib roast (6 or 7 bone)

phs
phs Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in Beef
need help on time and temp.  Want bone cut just enough so each guest gets meat and bone together.  (newbie)

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318

Here's a thread from earlier today for info-

Enjoy!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I did a bone in prime rib last weekend for the first tiime (5 ribs). It was great. I seared it at 500 degrees on all sides. Took it off the egg and let the temp drop to 300 (dome) and put it back on. I took it off 127 degrees internal and let it sit for 20 minutes. It was closer to medium Vs rare. It cooked faster than I expected 3 hours or so if I recollect and the meat was 9.75Lbs. Everyone raved about it and this was not an easy crowd.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I worked in a restaurant that had prime rib on the menu.  We'd salt and pepper them and throw them in at 220F.  That's how I've been cooking them ever since.  If you do I high temp cook, you risk a "gradient" of temperatures in the meat.  The meat around the outside might be medium to medium well, with a medium rare eye.  Also, higher temp cooking gives you a higher "rise" during rest.  Cooks Illustrated experimented with different temperatures and concluded 220F was ideal for a standing rib  roast.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That looks effin' delicious!
    That looks effin' delicious!
    Thanks, funny thing is that was probably done to 145* internal

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• phs
    Try Thirdeye's Cookin'
    thanks for the tip. good info
  • phs
    thanks for all the info, will make sure have plenty of pics when our heat wave breaks and can git eggin

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    I always buy bone in ribeye, cut the bone "wall" off, and then tie it all back together, that way when you are done, you can remove the bone, but still get the flavor.  It is just another way, and may or may not work for you.  It depends on what you want your presentation to look like.  Definitely cook low and slow.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    thanks for all the info, will make sure have plenty of pics when our heat wave breaks and can git eggin

Don't let the heat ruin a good BGE experience-that's one of the big plusses of the thing-once you dial it in you can monitor it from afar or let it run "unsupervised" and get yourself outta the heat while it does its thing.  Besides with the outside temps in the 100's you will use less lump...
    :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.