Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill your lemons

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
edited April 2012 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
I noted on two different cooking shows this past week or so that the host insisted on slicing lemons in half (along the equator) and grilling them along with the meat.  They both claimed that grilling the lemon actually "carmelizes" the lemon juice; I had trouble believing that but one show made a vinaigrette with the juice, and when it was squeezed out it definitely was browner than typical fresh lemon juice.
So, yesterday afternoon I grilled one lemon while I was trying to re-season a problem wok, then used the chilled grilled lemons with lunch today.  Wow, great taste with the chicken!
I will be doing this with chicken from now on, and will try limes the next time I grill fish.  Recommended.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    I put sliced lemons on a cedar plank then laid a side of salmon on the lemons. I thought it would keep the salmon from sticking.  I didn't know all that you told us, but I was amazed by the taste. I'll certainly see if I can make a dressing next time and report back. 
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Dip the lemon halves in sugar before grilling, then make lemonade, using a simple sugar with honey (1/2 cup each water, sugar, honey - heat until sugar dissolves then cool) for sweetener.  A dozen lemons makes a good 3 quarts of grilled lemonade.  Garnish with a Rosemary sprig.  This is a recipe from Kingsford, which turns out great, very refreshing.  And just telling everyone you made 'Grilled Lemonade' is impressive.  
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Dip the lemon halves in sugar before grilling, then make lemonade, using a simple sugar with honey (1/2 cup each water, sugar, honey - heat until sugar dissolves then cool) for sweetener.  A dozen lemons makes a good 3 quarts of grilled lemonade.  Garnish with a Rosemary sprig.  This is a recipe from Kingsford, which turns out great, very refreshing.  And just telling everyone you made 'Grilled Lemonade' is impressive.  
    Ok, this is on the want to try. Thanks

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I have lemons, but I may need more to try both recipes! Thanks Guys!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Ok, this is on the want to try. Thanks

Same here!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Tjcoley
    Found the pics from last time I made this
    reh111 Posts: 196
    ....and, when you add Grey Goose vodka, it's the shizzle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Tjcoley
    Tito's for me.
    lemonade Posts: 93
    I noted on two different cooking shows this past week or so that the host insisted on slicing lemons in half (along the equator) and grilling them along with the meat.  They both claimed that grilling the lemon actually "carmelizes" the lemon juice; I had trouble believing that but one show made a vinaigrette with the juice, and when it was squeezed out it definitely was browner than typical fresh lemon juice.
    So, yesterday afternoon I grilled one lemon while I was trying to re-season a problem wok, then used the chilled grilled lemons with lunch today.  Wow, great taste with the chicken!
    I will be doing this with chicken from now on, and will try limes the next time I grill fish.  Recommended.  
    direct, Indirect?  how long?  I have to try grilled lemons. Heck, look at my screen name

Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • Tjcoley
    Direct, 350 degrees.  Keep a close watch, once the sugar starts to caramelize they can burn quickly especially over a hot spot.  Took about 10 minutes. Spent 5 minutes lid closed, then opened and moved them around the grill a lot to try and keep an even grill.
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Wow - what an idea.   Mrs boatbum is going to love this.    Will try this weekend.

thanks

Cookin in Texas
  • My mouth is watering just thinking about it! Will try for sure
  • blaccjack
    blaccjack Posts: 37
    I will be doing this. I need a good reason for all those lemons on my lemon tree.