Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy Canada Day!

Squeezy
Squeezy Posts: 1,102
edited June 2012 in Off Topic
What's everyone cooking this weekend for the holiday?
Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    For lunch, will toss leftover wings from last night in bbq sauce and reheat in the egg.

Dinner wil be 28 days wet aged filet mignon seared on CI grate sitting on the spider with a side of ??? any idea?

edited June 2012
    tomorrow will be ribs day  :D

Mushrooms ... ABTs ... beans ... etc.

• Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    Forgive my ignorance, but does Canada have a signature meal that they're famous for?  I know a lot of great food comes out of Canada, but are any of them uniquely Canadian (like Tex-Mex is to Texas, or NE Clam Chowder is to NE, or Southern Fried Chicken is to the South)?

Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Squeezy

We have poutine ... I guess out of Quebec. Our lobster is just as famous as it is in Maine. Montreal smoked meat, peameal bacon that we also call back bacon nad is known in the states as Canadian bacon. We also get credit for the butter tart and nanaimo bar. In the far north, wild game of all sorts are used. The natives made bannock, a flat bread.

We like the states are a melting pot of ethnic foods from all over the world and I believe we are all better for it ....

Hope that helps ...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @ Squeezy-thanks for the reminder about Nanaimo-some of the best partying was there (winter or summer)-enjoyed (spectator) the bath tub races across the Strait of Georgia several years ago.  And Happy Canada Day tomorrow.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    Poutine is the first thing that comes to my mind...

Soupe aux pois - French Canadian pea soup is made of ham stock, yellow peas, ham, onions, celery and seasoning to taste.

Fêves au lard - Baked navy beans with salt pork and maple syrup

Pâté chinois - Shepherd's pie variation. Layer of ground beef, layer of sweet corn and layer of mashed potatoes.

Sugar shacks food:
    -eggs poached in maple syrup,
    -pork sausages baked in maple syrup
    -oreilles de crisse (traditional Quebec dish consisting of deep-fried smoked pork jowls. It is generally served at cabanes à sucre (sugar shacks) in spring time, traditionally topped with maple)
    -fêves au lard (mentioned above)
    -french Canadian pea soup (mentioned above)
    -pancakes

Most of those French inspired dishes I'm not too familiar with except the pea soup, sheperd's pie & pancakes... The English brought fish-n-chips with malt vinegar (which I love), Scots with blood pudding and haggis and the Irish stews ... all good!

• Howdy_Doody
    I guess you all could take credit for Cajun food, like gumbo, etouffe, jambalaya, etc. since the Cajuns are French Acadians (way back).   :))
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Squeezy
    I guess you all could take credit for Cajun food, like gumbo, etouffe, jambalaya, etc. since the Cajuns are French Acadians (way back).   :))

Tis true and God knows I love Cajun ...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

We have poutine ... I guess out of Quebec. Our lobster is just as famous as it is in Maine. Montreal smoked meat, peameal bacon that we also call back bacon nad is known in the states as Canadian bacon. We also get credit for the butter tart and nanaimo bar. In the far north, wild game of all sorts are used. The natives made bannock, a flat bread.

We like the states are a melting pot of ethnic foods from all over the world and I believe we are all better for it ....

Hope that helps ...

Back in my day we were a Vertical Mosaic, meaning people could retain their culture whilst still seeing prosperity. Canadian Bacon is smoked pea meal. Happy Canada Day

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy

Canadian Bacon is smoked pea meal.

Aha ... never even thought about that ... makes sense though.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Souvlaki, of the chicken variety. Great as a direct cook, no smoke needed. Halved roast potatoes and a greek salad. Pita is always better brushed with garlic butter and toasted on the egg, and you have to love tzatziki.....

Happy 145th Birthday Canada!!!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Squeezy
    Sounds Greek to me ... but we'll be happy to take credit!
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    edited July 2012
    Canada's signature dish? BEER! Now let's not restart the war of 1812 over who has the best cuz just like last time we'll outdrink y'all

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Howdy_Doody
    We fought CANADA in the War of 1812?  Damn !  Back to the books.   :-/
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • lousubcap
    I think that section is right next to the one talking about NECC-Happy B'day USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Howdy_Doody
    I think that section is right next to the one talking about NECC-Happy B'day USA!

=))  As they say in Quebec, touché.

Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    In truth, you invaded Canada. We just fought back

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    In truth, you invaded Canada. We just fought back
    And I guess we won? Right?

Actually, the Treaty of Ghent restored the previous boundaries between the United States and Canada.  However, President James "Hussein" Madison opened up the borders with a Dream amnesty clause that would give illegal Canadian immigrants the chance to become American citizens.

That is why Minnesotans speak the way they do today.  This is all in the history books.  Read it.  
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • lousubcap
    @ H_D-too much but great history =))
  • Squeezy
    We stsrted to burn down the White House ... and I'm glad they put out the fire ... I toured it years ago ... cool house! I'm happy it survived the skimish .....
  • paqman
    LOL Hmmm, assimilation? The guy was smart...

Ok, funny but this is going sideways...

@gabriegger had a good point, we have good beverages. Tons of microbrasseries beers, ice wine, ice cider, maple ice cider... Actuallly, ice cider is great with pork tenderloin!