Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm glad pork is forgiving, but...

JohnMc
JohnMc Posts: 76
edited July 2012 in Pork
Put on an 8-9 lb butt at midnight (my first attempt at a butt), thought all was fine.  Temp went up shortly afterwards so that I was getting grill temp around 250 which went up to a little over 300 by this morning.  Dome was at 350 when I checked it.  What I was planning to be a 12-16 hour cook ended up with a meat temp of 195 at 8 this morning so I cooked about an hour/lb instead of what I expected.  Pulled it off the BGE, tasted a chunk and amazingly it is very moist and tastes great.  What is the best way to handle this early arrival now?  I put it in foil, towel, cooler but will it continue to cook and dry out that way?  I was planning on eating for dinner tonight but now wondering if I should pull it now and reheat it for later, leave it alone, eat it for breakfast and feed tonights guests burgers's or what?  I'd appreciate any advice.  Thanks.

Comments

• There should be others that will chime in with much more experience than I....

However, I would wrap that baby in two sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil, wrap that in a towel and toss it in a cooler.  I think the temp should hold on that for several hours....it should not continue to cook but it should allow the meat to rest.  I am betting that around noonish you could unwrap it and pull it.  It will not be dried out if it is not dried out now.  When you get ready to serve it mix in with your favorite BBQ sauce and reheat....I assume you could reheat on the Egg if you wanted.

Hope this helps and I will be watching to see if any the veterans out there will give better or different advice.

Chunky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    +1 with Chunky's plan. After pulling you can reheat any number of ways-just add the Q sauce, cover tightly in a pan (oven temp or BGE at around 200-220) or use a crock pot. Enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnMc
    Great, thanks guys.  Appreciate the help.
  • JohnMc
    I did what you guys suggested and the pork was still awesome.. Thanks fornthe guidance.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Never a doubt with pork-glad it was a success.  Happy B'day USA.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    There should be others that will chime in with much more experience than I....

However, I would wrap that baby in two sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil, wrap that in a towel and toss it in a cooler.  I think the temp should hold on that for several hours....it should not continue to cook but it should allow the meat to rest.  I am betting that around noonish you could unwrap it and pull it.  It will not be dried out if it is not dried out now.  When you get ready to serve it mix in with your favorite BBQ sauce and reheat....I assume you could reheat on the Egg if you wanted.

Hope this helps and I will be watching to see if any the veterans out there will give better or different advice.

Chunky
    You will probably find that you won't need to reheat it.  I have kept mine in a cooler wrapped with foil and towels for 12 hours and it was too hot to pull the meat still!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.