Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How soon should I foil to push for finish?

Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited July 2012 in Pork
The stats:
 10.5lb pork butt, Started at 10:18 pm est. Dome held steady (when I checked through the night) around 245*. Dome has been steady (since 8am) around 275* with grid at 250*. Butt is currently 163* at 10:52 est. I'm taking this to a party at 4:30. I'm thinking I should bump the dome to about 315* and foil the butt very soon.
What are your opinions? Thanks for your responses.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174

@ Brownie-you are  about 5 1/2 hours before heading out so I wouldn't foil yet. Not sure how long you have been in the plateau.  You may want to crank the BGE to your temp (315+/-) on the dome as you can likely finish the cook in plenty of time to meet your schedule. Then FTC for the road trip.  Here's a great read on butts, the stall and a link to the "Texas Crutch" as many call the foil option. 

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html Enjoy-it will be great.  Happy B'day USA!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    lousubcap My target completion was aimed about 2:30. I really hate being late. Plus although this isn't my first  low and slow, it was my first overnight due to the starting weight of the butt. My nervousness is due to the fact that I always try to relax at this point, and it always bites me and take longer than I expect. I have so much time and so little patience.
    :) Thanks.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    edited July 2012
    Yes, I would foil it and push it on. If you foil it now, your still a couple hours if not 3 away. That puts you well into range to hold in a cooler for a few hours.
  • Brownie
    I bumped temp without foil. Thanks for the help.