Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What now? pork butt

Jaxegger
Jaxegger Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I had my perfect cook going or so I thought.  8.5# butt on at 8.....temp stays around 225-235 and I go to bed.  Check it at 230 and it had dropped to 220 so I nudged the daisy wheel open just a touch.  My mistake I think was I also opened the bottom vent just a touch.

Anyway, up at 700 and the temp is 300.  I check the internal temp and it exceeds 199, the max on my thermometer.  Of course, I have now taken it off, double wrapped in foil and towels and in a cooler to keep warm.

How long can I leave it like that?  I planned to take it off early afternoon, 16 or so hours in for evening meal.  Will it stay warm that long?

Am I better off after a few hours to pull the pork and refrigerate?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    You can hold in a cooler with your set-up for 4-6 hours easily. If you have remote thermo you could insert(wrap with foil) and monitor but it would be a crap-shoot to get to early evening and still be at 140+*F, although  there are those who have held it that long (by accident).  The other option is to hold for while (or not, your choice) then pull and refrigerate as you mention. When ready, put in an aluminum pan with Q sauce, seal tightly and  reheat.  You can reheat the sealed pan in the oven or BGE (around 200-220*F) or put the pulled pork with Q sauce in a crock pot.  It will all turn out great.  Happy B'day USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jaxegger
    Good idea on putting the thermometer in.  I will unwrap and do that.   I have it wrapped pretty good so maybe I will get lucky.

Different family members like different sauces so I can't add sauce and reheat.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I would pull it, fridge, reheat covered in foil, and then add sauce. I have done it many times and it always turns out great. I reheat to 170 in the oven.

No reason to spend all day on the 4th worrying about it.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I would pull it, fridge, reheat covered in foil, and then add sauce. I have done it many times and it always turns out great. I reheat to 170 in the oven.

No reason to spend all day on the 4th worrying about it.

+1

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Do you have a Food Saver?
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Jaxegger
    No food saver.  Its at 160 now.  I am going to let it cool a bit more then pull, chop it a little and put it in containers.

Thanks for all the help.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    It's actually easier to pull when it's hot. Don't let it get too cool.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    180 degree oven. place foiled butts in a pan and hold in the oven. Then go to the cooler later on. Works for me.
  • Jaxegger
    Pulled, chopped and sampled.  My treat as chef.  Still very good despite cooking error. 

I have refrigerated for now.  We won't eat for 5 or so hours.  My thought is to take out enough for dinner, warm that and leave the rest for leftovers.