Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok Question

Options
Phoenix824
Phoenix824 Posts: 243
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just got my wok from the Wok Shop today and plan to cook tomorrow.      (I already seasoned it)     My question is do I worry about cook temp or just leave the her wide open?   
Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I have been getting a good bed of coals and then closing my bottom vent.

Click here for other answers.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Perfect   Thanks Brownie
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I just let 'er rip.  Haven't had any oil burning problems so far (about 8-10 wok sessions) -- which is the only downside I can see.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I struggled my first time out but think it was my fire and jumping the gun too early. I did leave vent wide open and never got too hot so will do that again.
    Seattle, WA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    minimum 600 dome, good red lump. if your using alot of oil or flames are shooting up to high, shut the bottom vent and wait a few minutes for the flames to subside. this is for dome open stir fries
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Options
    In regards to burning oil, it depends on the oil you use.
    Please oh please don't use extra virgin olive oil.
    Not sure what temperature you'll be aiming for, but something around 450 degrees will work, if you can control it ..
    It won't take long to cook, but if you get the wok at that heat rate, extra virgin olive oil will burn.
    Use pure olive oil if you must, but avocado oil would be the best in my opinion. It not only has a very high smoke point, but it's also low in saturated fats.
    Peanut oil is also good, or sunflower oil if you don't want to add extra flavors ..

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    allitnils  how about canola oil?
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    Options
    I leave her wide open.  
    I recently bought mine from the Wok Shop, too.  I get my fire with wok inside up to 400-500 then start the cook with lid open, of course.  I'm guessing the wok temp is at least 700. Seems the hotter the fire the better.  When flames are shooting up the sides of the wok, the food seems to taste better.  I do notice when I put the food in, sometimes a few pop out.  Also I've learned from this site, to not put too much food into the wok at the same time, as it cools it too much.  I tried frozen vegetables for the first time tonight and wasn't really happy with the results.  They are easy in terms of prep, but I think I'll use them only when in a hurry.  Again, I believe frozen veg. cool the wok too much so turn out mushy.  Still learning, myself so would look forward to reading about your experiences.