Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bbq sauce recipe

Options
apphunter
apphunter Posts: 17
edited July 2012 in Pork
I am doing some ribs for the 4th tomorrow.  I'm very confident in my ribs but I am looking for suggestions for a BBQ sauce.  I was thinking of setting up a drip pan and using the drippings for the sauce.  What kind of sauce do yall use.

JD

Comments

• hopkinsusmc87
    Options

Ribs, oh the possibilities, but I use a sweet BBQ sauce like Sweet Baby Rays.  I found that to be good on ribs. I’m not good at making a BBQ sauce I like so until I master that I will use SBR. We also have a local BBQ sauce in Aberdeen SD called “OL’ West” that is great on almost anything. See URL

http://olwestbarbeque.com/   You can order it from the site - trust me its good! 

• apphunter
    apphunter Posts: 17
    Options
    I have some sweet baby rays on hand I like it too but I am just trying to expand my abilities and make a bbq sauce since i haven't done it before.  if it sucks i can slap on some sbr

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I keep it simple 
    1 cup catsup
    3/4 cup wine vinegar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp guldens mustard 
    1 tsp wochestire sauce 
    dash of salt pepper tabasco 
    1 garlic clove minced 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options

I got a classic Carolina style BBQ sauce you can try.

1 1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup ketchup

1/2 cup water

1 tablespoon sugar white or brown

1 teaspoon salt Kosher fine

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Mix all together, place in an airtight container and put it in the refrigerator over night so the flavors blend and there you go.

This is a thin BBQ sauce but it goes good with smoked poke of any kind.  You can also play with it and see how you can improve it.  Good luck.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This one sounds good, haven't tried it though, and I like the name of the website....

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/bills-homemade-bbq-sauce.htm
    Options
    I make a smoked porter sauce that's pretty darn good. Of course, I use my own homebrewed smoked porter, but hey...I brew beer! I also put some real NH maple syrup in it too.

Google  smoked porter bbq sauce recipe, you should get a good idea of where to start.

I have also made a rasberry chipoltle sauce thats pretty good too. Google Chef Juke's Raspberry Chipotle sauce.

Lots of good sauce recipes out there.....start with one and change it to suite your tastes.