Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast

Options
Ricksegg
Ricksegg Posts: 0
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am getting ready to cook a 6.5 pound standing rib roast.  I will be cooking it with the plate setter and the egg temperature at about 250 degrees.  Does anybody know about how long it takes to cook it until the roast is about 140 degrees?

Comments

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    get a good remote read thermometer, and when it hits 135 pull it out. my guess, at least a few hours
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I cook prime rib with your set-up.  I generally see 25-30 mins/# til around 130*F on the meat thermo-so that will get you in the ballpark.  Use a drip pan on the platesetter with some spacers under the pan to collect the juices and not have them become burnt offerings. Spacers can be anything to create an air gap.  Enjoy-it will turn out great.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    25 minutes will get you close but what it is really about is the cross-section of meat in either direction. If you have a narrow end and the roast is approximately the same length and width you will go 25 minutes. If it's a thicker roast (closer to the 6th vertebrae?) it will be more narrow in the other dimension it will take a bit less time.