Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Metal cart with terrazzo table top

SalsaGids
SalsaGids Posts: 25
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
This took a while to build. I bought my Medium BGE in january 2012, and immediately discarded the nests as too unstable when driving around. I spent evenings looking at homebuilt carts, and came to like this metal cart but then without the folding table and with another table top.

At first I wanted Corian but that is not completely heat-resistant and quite costly. A friend suggested that for that price I could get real terrazzo made. Talking to the terrazzo man, he said I could have any shape I liked, so I went ahead and designed a top with round short sides, to add some material to the table top around the hole for the egg. The hole for the egg is also moved 25 mm towards the front to avoid the terrazzo around the hinges being too thin. Since I wanted the BGE almost flush with the table top I created extra room for the hinges. If you want this too, notice that the hinges in open position need even more room, so do your measurements with the top open. On the other side I left a smiley-shaped hole to be used as a handle to move it around. For color I chose off-white with orange accents to create a warm look.

For the frame I used 25 mm square tubing, and sawed it all by hand in 45 and 90 degree angles. To support the BGE I used 8 mm massive round rods, which inserted into pre-drilled holes so needed minimal welding for a clean look. A massive steel rod I bent in the same curve as the short side of the table top, and added 5 hooks which I bent around a piece of construction scaffolding to make them all the same curve. We also added little 'ears' where the sides of the cabinet could be attached. For the wheels I ordered the same alloy wheels that I have on my Hartman Da Vinci lounge beds, and the biggest caster wheels I could find. The same friend who suggested the terrazzo is a professional welder, so he did that and I did the clean-up.

Another friend turned out to work at a place that does powdercoating, so it was galvanized and powdercoated for a very interesting price. I'm now looking for the cabinet sides, and door hinges and handle. I want them to be those heavy chrome-plated retro refrigerator style.

Comments