Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE cookbook worth it?

nineee
nineee Posts: 41
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have 4 smokin' n' grllin' books--one by Steven Raichlen.  But none devoted strictly to the Egg.  I have a 25% coupon from a local dealer and wonder if you think the BGE cookbook needs to be in my library. Nina in KY where it's to %#$%& hot to cook outside.

Comments

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800

That depends. Not to be vague but a lot of folks are really disappointed in it. Me on the other hand think it's a worthy addition but some of the recipes are a bit over the top. I got mine heavily discounted on Amazon so I don't feel cheated. Had I paid full price? Well, that's another story.

Overall, the Weber Big Books of Grilling are very good (I'll probably get slammed for saying that here!) as well as Cooks Illustrated (esp their 2000 recipe tome that devotes a whole section to grilling).

Finally, I find this forum to be great too. I've been using a BGE for almost 20yrs (I'm on my 4th) and I still learn things whenever I spend time here.

Hope that helps,

Eric

ps. It's NEVER too hot to grill. Just adds to the challenge!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    The pretty pics make it a great coffe table book, but for recipes and info on cooking on the egg, the forum is MUCH better...
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I would skip the official cookbook and buy "Slow Fire" by Dr. Bbq (Ray Lampe). "Slow Fire" is endorsed by Big Green Egg, at least there is a youtube video of him on their website talking about the book.

I have the official book and a lot of the recipes are, as mentioned, a bit over the top. I have never done a recipe 100%, and I mostly glance at it for temp and time suggestions.
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I bought it on my nook app on my tablet so I did not buy the hard cover $50 price. 

I have made a few of the breakfast items and they have turned out very well!! I would recommend buying it on a bookstore app like Google books, Itunes, Amazon, nook etc and not buy the real book if possible. You will save yourself some money.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've had it for a year and half and have yet to cook anything out of it. In fact, I brought it in with me to work today bound and determined to find something out of it that I wanted to cook. But I also brought Smoke and Spice and am leaning more towards finding something in there.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    I'm in the "not worth it camp" for many of the reasons mentioned above-and I will second Griffin's tilt toward "Smoke and Spice".  That is a great reference for starters.  There about as many BBQ books out there as fill-in the blank for dummies books.  You can also find many great recipes here and via Google.  There are some very talented chefs who post here.  Save the $$-even with the discount.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Don't waste your money, to many great cooks with recipes they are willing to share on this site  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    ditto on @BYS1981 - Dr. BBQs new book, Slow Fire, is really good.  I've cooked a lot from the Weber book, too! @Cymbaline65  But like other posts, I have learned a ton here on this forum.  I had no idea what an ABT was - but I make them all the time now!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    BGE should create a smartphone app cookbook.  Are you listening BGE!? 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • jdgcrean
    jdgcrean Posts: 44

was disappointed there weren't more explanations of techniques - ie. various set-ups, ideal temperatures, etc. frankly seemed most of the recipes could be used in an oven just as well as an egg.  

that said, have done a few cooks with the suggested rubs/sauces and have had good results.

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186

When you consider the price...you can buy cook books from famous culinary trained chefs for much less than the price of the BGE cookbook.

My two cents

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    The pretty pics make it a great coffe table book, but for recipes and info on cooking on the egg, the forum is MUCH better...
    +1. Your egg is so versatile that  you can use just about any recipe (from books or online sites) that there is really not a need for an Egg specific cookbook. I got my hands on one for 35 bucks and I like it, but for the full 50 I would have probably passed.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    I had a look at it and passed.  It seemed a lot like the others, but cost a fair bit more.  I have a couple of my go too books that I like much more, but I'm more of a "basics" guy.  Not big on the chutney's, salsa's, etc.  Give me a good hunk of meat, a good rub, a wee bit of good smoke, and good sauce and I'm content.  Potato salad and cold brown beans and the world is good:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I am in the not worth it camp.    I use it occasionally but most times I do stuff that I have always cooked.      I do use the octoberfest paperback book quite a bit.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • msmith46
    msmith46 Posts: 1
    I bought on iBooks (iPad) for $19. Not worth full price.
  • ditto on @BYS1981 - Dr. BBQs new book, Slow Fire, is really good.  I've cooked a lot from the Weber book, too! @Cymbaline65  But like other posts, I have learned a ton here on this forum.  I had no idea what an ABT was - but I make them all the time now!
    I've been hoping to figure out without having to ask. What is an ABT?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

Atomic Buffalo Turd!  Half and clean out some jalapenos, stuff them with a cream cheese mixture ( i like to use jimmy dean hot sausage) then wrap them in bacon and grill/smoke them.  Once you have them they become one of the go to apps.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy independence day!  Keep in mind it took some brave people to give us independence!

As far as the book goes, i am in the no camp as well.  I have it on my kindle, but hardly ever use it.  There are lots of people here that are incredibly talented and creative.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• I bought on iBooks (iPad) for $19. Not worth full price.

Agree. Bought it for my Kindle, but wouldn't recommend full price for the hardcover book. Pretty pictures, a little historical info, but not very practical recipes. I've learned tons more here than from that book.
  • Cymbaline65

So I guess the takeaway here is:

"If ya gotta have it, don't pay full price."

I rarely have a lot of spare time to spend on this forum, but when I do, I always walk away with something new to try. As for ABTs, I have not done them yet but plan to when we have guests

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • lousubcap
    @Cymbaline65-don't wait for guests for the ABT's - they are habit-forming and their make-up is limited only by your imagination.  Happy B'day USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cymbaline65
    I'm going to a family get together where somebody else is doing the heavy lifting today. I'm bummed as today would be a great day to fire up the egg and just mess around. I'll keep you posted lousubcap on what I conjure up. What's your favorite ABT configuration?
  • brian4206
    brian4206 Posts: 19
    It's nice to have but don't pay $50 for it. I got mine from Barnes & Noble on eBay and it was $34 with free shipping. I feel like that was even a little too much to pay but its a nice addition to my bookshelf. Pics are nice but the recipes are not as good as what you can find on the internet.
  • I received it as a gift, and love it. The beef short rib recipe (now posted on the BGE website) is a favorite around my house.
  • lousubcap
    I'm going to a family get together where somebody else is doing the heavy lifting today. I'm bummed as today would be a great day to fire up the egg and just mess around. I'll keep you posted lousubcap on what I conjure up. What's your favorite ABT configuration?
    For the innards I will find some meat from whatever I have in the fridge from the most recent BGE cook, chop it up, mix with pepper-jack cheese (if this is not "interesting enough" then I will add some chipotles and away we go). Load into the jalapeno then the bacon wrap.  Can be brisket, steak, chicken , turkey pork etc-even have gone with the smoked salmon a few times-that's a flavor experience.  Happy B'day USA!
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    For the innards I will find some meat from whatever I have in the fridge from the most recent BGE cook, chop it up, mix with pepper-jack cheese (if this is not "interesting enough" then I will add some chipotles and away we go). Load into the jalapeno then the bacon wrap.  Can be brisket, steak, chicken , turkey pork etc-even have gone with the smoked salmon a few times-that's a flavor experience.  Happy B'day USA!

Nice! Love to try the salmon one da hen feeling on the brave/outside the box side.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I was totally disappointed in the cookbook.  I bought Smoke and Spice years ago.  It is awesome.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Some of the recipes are over the top with ingredients. But the food is fabulous. I like how it gives you the egg setup instructions for each recipe. The book has been worth it for me just for the pizza dough recipe.
    Mark Annville, PA