Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Many Coats of Helmsman Spar

RMCasey
RMCasey Posts: 4
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum

I'm very
excited to be almost complete on my new table. It's been a blast building this
thing! I used Naked Whiz's design with a few mods here and there. I sure hope
my 15 inch clearance from the top of the shelf base to the top of the table
base is correct. I have a new spring hinge egg. It's sitting on firebrick the
top of which will be about 1/4 inch above the top of the shelf and will then
sit on the little green wedges that come with the egg. With all of the wood
glue I used.... there's no turning back.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Right now
I'm finishing the table. I have not yet screwed down the slat boards. I have
put one coat of Helmsman’s Spar on the entire frame top and bottom and on the
interior edges of the slat boards just as Naked Whiz did. My question is how
many coats are you guys putting on of Helmsman Spar (or a similar product. I
was thinking 3. I want it to be as weather resistant as possible. Do you put
three everywhere including the interior edges of the board and underside of the
table? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Ryan

Comments

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    I put at least 4-5, can't have too many. Plan to sand and recoat every year or so if it stays outside like mine does.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I had a Boston whaler and the more coats the merrier. Made the teak look good. Just do as many as you feel like doing.
  • RMCasey
    RMCasey Posts: 4

Thanks.... finisjed the frae... now working on the deck and the shelf!

Appreciate the help! 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I built two egg tables and I put three coats on each.  That Helmsman spar varnish won't be a substitute for a cover, however.  You'll end up refinishing once a year if you leave it uncovered in the open with the sun and rain pounding on it.  That Helmsman isn't really even a spar varnish - it's a urethane with oil to make it flexible and UV blockers for the sun.  It'll de-laminate with age, while real marine spar varnishes will wear from the outside by chalking and may be recoated without always sanding down to the wood.

My advice - three coats and get a cover. 
    Thanks Nolaegghead.... I live in NOLA too if thats what it stands for. sure is hotenough right now to need as many coats as possible. I have my cover on order!.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I have a small table for my LBGE and I think I went through 3-4 cans of that stuff. I sanded between applications and I'll sand and re-coat every year. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I built two egg tables and I put three coats on each.  That Helmsman spar varnish won't be a substitute for a cover, however.  You'll end up refinishing once a year if you leave it uncovered in the open with the sun and rain pounding on it.  That Helmsman isn't really even a spar varnish - it's a urethane with oil to make it flexible and UV blockers for the sun.  It'll de-laminate with age, while real marine spar varnishes will wear from the outside by chalking and may be recoated without always sanding down to the wood.

My advice - three coats and get a cover. 

Interesting info. I used captains varnish on my whaler.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I used 3 coats on the top and sides, and 2 coats on the bottom shelves. I store mine inside, though, and it's only rolled out to cook.

I have found that with the Helmsman, the wood gets disgusting and a wet rag won't take off the grease and charcoal stains. I've used turpentine on a rag to clean it, and it hasn't taken the finish off yet. It's a fairly gentle degreaser, compared to acetone, and ets he job done without damaging the table. Good luck!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57

Aloha

Your queston got me to checking.  Went outside to look at my table.  I applied 3 coats of Helmsman in November.  The table sets outside about 60 feet from the Pacific.  I have a cover.  Upon checking I found out that I will have to revarnish as the movement of the cover as removed some of the varnish.  No other problems and everywhere else the finish looks good.

I will keep the cover on as it most certainly helps in protection.  But I will check more frequently.  I used the Egg two nights ago for a tri tip and got so interested in the cooking that I did not check the finish.

I have not had any problems with grease nor charcoal stains...mine wipes off very easily...go figure.

Aloha

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I figured the top would get the most abuse, and since I used pecky cypress (cavities in the cypress from a natural mold or fungus), I had to fill those in and used marine epoxy for the job.  Ended up coating the whole top with epoxy - it soaks down into the wood and makes the surface has hard as maple.  Then 3 coats of Helmsman spar on top of that.  No such thing as overkill for wood exposed to the elements...

Also, I encapsulated every piece of wood with varnish before I assembled.  My theory is you make the wood as water resistant as possible and slow down the expansion/contraction from changes in humidity changing the moisture content of the wood, which should minimize checking and cracks that exacerbate the absorption of water.  I know, I'm a nerd.
    Good stuff, probably much more durable than Helmsman.  You get what you pay for, and that stuff ain't cheap.  Considering the labor to prep and apply the finish is much greater than the cost of the paint, I think it's best to buy the best you can afford.  You don't see marinas using Helmsman on wooden boat trim - there's a reason for that.

Still, I'd recommend a cover unless you store it indoors.
    i plan on getting a cover as well.. i mean i have built a nice table that will be covered in all reality probably 90% of it's life! lol