Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enough smoke or not?

Options
Sm62577
Sm62577 Posts: 30
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Why is it after about 30- 45min my smoke seems like its all gone? I know your supposed to wait until that gray smoke is gone and wait for some nice blue smoke but I can't see anything coming from the top .. It smells good but just was wondering , I usually put 2 to 3 small to med size chunks ,, When I see those BBQ Pittmasters on TV all there riggs seem to have lots of smoke coming out.. Was just curious..

Comments

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    I use wood chips and I sprinkle them out in a spiral pattern so I get more smoke throughout the cook as the coals burn toward the outside. 

Does your food get a good smoke ring?
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    If you can smell smoke, so can your food - all that billowing smoke is just for show.
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    Options
    Yep,, I get a noticeable smoke ring on my ribs most of the time.. Do you soak your chips or chunks? I don't soak mine ...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Does it taste smokey enough for your preference? That's what matters, right?

No soak.
  • Smokin_Dave
    Options
    I read a cooking article where they tested soaking versus not soaking and they determined the soaking was a waste of time and doesn't do anything except make the wood steam for a while before burning.  Saves me a step!
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I use a tip that I learned from Harry Soo from one of his YT videos. I place the wood chunks on the fire grate and then add the lump on top. It helps make the smoke last longer and prevents the temp from spiking.
  • Thapco
    Thapco Posts: 44
    Options
    Smoke ring is not from smoke
  • hogfan412
    hogfan412 Posts: 75
    Options
    Thapco said:
    Smoke ring is not from smoke
    It's all chemistry baby.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The good "blue" smoke is almost invisible. It is indeed only the smell you want.

Unlike wood burning pits, an Egg pyrolizes the smoking wood. That is, it bakes it away. There is just enough oxygen to keep the fire going, and cause the wood to disintegrate. The early visible smoke is volatile chemicals left in the lump, mixed w. some water vapor. Some of the water vapor is from the smoking wood. Once the VOCs and the water is gone, the wood is turning to nearly invisible flavor compounds.

The visible smoke from wood burners is because even well cured wood is still at least 20% water. The water, and the partially burnt wood compounds are visible. Because most wood burners are metal, the vapors get sucked to the outside. That is a good thing, since partially burnt wood mixed w. water near the boiling point produces creosote. Nasty stuff, that.

BTW, most of the good smoke "spice" flavor comes from lignin decomposition. So harder hard woods like post oak, hickory and such will give the strongest flavors. Softer fruit hardwoods yield less, and so are better suited for poultry.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No doubt you'll SEE more smoke if you soak the wood.  That's an indisputable fact.
    Options
    No doubt you'll SEE more smoke if you soak the wood.  That's an indisputable fact.
    Are you trying to blow smoke?? ;)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I just layer my wood chunks throughout the charcoal and never really think of it again. I have never thought, my food is lacking smoke.