Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beans

Options
BuckeyeBob
BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
edited June 2012 in Sides
Lookimg for a good recipe for Texas-style Pinto beans I can make on my egg. I have a new CI Dutch Oven I want to try out and thought these would be good. I did search on the site but didn't really find anything.

Thanks,

Buckeye Bob
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Have you looked for boracho beans or drunken beans? My wife usually makes the beans, so I don't know what goes into them. Salt pork or bacon, rotel, cilantro, tomatoes. Hmmm....Let me see what I can dig up.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

This one would be a good starting point. Adjust to suit your tastes.

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=219&EpisodeID=26

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options

I have made these beans before and I really enjoyed them. 

http://www.ranchogordo.com/html/rg_cook_drunkbeans.htm 

• Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    Options
    First of all, if you want Texas beans, you need to spell it right.  It's banes.   :))

I like Frijoles ala Charra.  It's Tex-Mex.  Recipe follows.  

1 ½ lbs. Pinto beans
    1 gallon Cold water
    ¾ lb. Bacon pieces, chopped into 1 in. squares
    ½ cup Garlic, chopped fine
    4 tablespoons Cilantro
    1 cup Onion , chopped
    1 tablespoon Cumin
    1 tablespoon Chili powder
    ½ gallon Water, cold
    1 ½ tablespoons Salt
    2 cups Tomatoes, Roma, chopped
     cup Cilantro
    Soak beans in 1 gallon cold water for 8 hours. Drain when ready to use. In a 2 gallon heavy pot cook the bacon pieces until well done. Do not undercook the bacon. Add 1/2 C. chopped garlic, 3 Tbsp. cilantro, and chopped onions to hot bacon. Cook until onions are transparent. When onions are ready add beans, cumin, and chili powder. Stir and add 1/2 gallon cold water. Turn heat to medium low. Add salt and stir. Cook beans slowly until fork tender (approximately 1 hour). Stir constantly to avoid burning the bottom. Add tomatoes, remaining garlic, and cilantro, and serve.

The other way to cook beans, Texas style, is to make them like they fix at BBQs.  I use a Pinto Beano Spice from Williams Food Co., in Cleveland Texas.  Their website is http://www.jcollignon.com/williamsfoodco/pintobeanspice.htm and they have an 800 number where you can order.

Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    When you cook beans on the egg, do you use wood? Will that impart a smoke flavor to the beans?
  • Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    Options
    When you cook beans on the egg, do you use wood? Will that impart a smoke flavor to the beans?
    Yes, and yes, as long as you don't put a lid on it.
    Dripping Springs, Texas