Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

does anyone use sugar substitutes?

Kristinnn
Kristinnn Posts: 133
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
does anyone use sugar substitutes in their rubs or sauces?  like splenda, xylitol, stevia etc?  I'm curious if they act the same when it comes to this stuff.

Comments

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273

I don't.  You could probably get away with it in a sauce.  However I wouldn't put it in a rub because the sugar is not only in rubs to change the flavor profile but also because slowly caramelizes and helps create a good bark which I would not think the artificial sweetener does. 

Might be neat to do a side by side though and see what you think and report back. 

• Kristinnn
    ill probably try that out once i figure out a good recipe
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    Some sugar substitutes don't stand up to heat. I think Splenda does.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've used powdered stevia once in my rub. Worked fine, but use sparingly.  Not knowing the equivalence between stevia and sugar, I found that 1 Tbl of stevia made the rub way sweeter than 2 Tbl sugar.
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    I used liquid sucralose in sauces in place of brown sugar.  Worked fine.
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Hi Kristinnn..
    I used (use) stevia mostly when I cook, and splenda when I need to sweeten bad coffee.
    Stevia works well, and has similar characteristics to sugar.
    Though as it's been suggested, you might want to look up a conversion technique that will work for you.
    Something like this is fairly close to reality:
    http://www.stevia.net/conversion.html

• Kristinnn
    Is there a reason you want to substitute the sugar? My sister always says that if you want sugar.. Eat sugar. Same goes for butter vs margarine.
    Sister is a dietitian
    well everyone has their own view on diets.. i eat primal/paleo.  so all the raw oraganic butter and grassfed fat i can eat and veggies but no processed carbs/food or sugar.  I do eat some sugar and have been with the current rubs i have but its always nice to try to find a better way.
  • Kristinnn
    I've used powdered stevia once in my rub. Worked fine, but use sparingly.  Not knowing the equivalence between stevia and sugar, I found that 1 Tbl of stevia made the rub way sweeter than 2 Tbl sugar.
    yeah stevia is not my fav.  kind of has an off taste when you add too much in baking!  ideal which is xylitol has a brown sugar substitute i might try 
  • Kristinnn
    Thanks everyone i will just do a little experimenting with stevia as many have suggested and ill have to try it with xylitol which is my fav
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Let us know what you find out.  In a few months, I might have to BBQ for some diabetics and need to know.  We do NOT like the taste of Stevia at all.  I think Splenda is temp stable up to 350 to 450 so it should work for low and slow perhaps.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I use stevia in my coffee, but not for cooking as I don't like the flavor.

Try turbinado/raw sugar - a teaspoon of turbinado sugar is 11 calories, while granulated sugar is 16, and it tastes great.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,658
    if i were limiting the sugar or maybe using a substitute, i would probably go with a vinegar style sauce that doesnt have much sugar to start with, something that the flavor profile isnt based on sugar
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Truvia is the best I have found- actually need to use a little more than when using sugar
    Greensboro, NC
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    From the perspective of eating a paleo diet, I would suppose xylitol or Splenda (tm), are just not right. While current evidence seems to indicate that refined carbohydrates are a problem, a paleo diet would seem to me to be just food that could be made without much fuss. Raw, or w. minimal cooking. I suppose honey can be dried and powdered. But for a pork butt, why not make incisions, and poke in raisins, or slices of dried apple? Or figs or dates.

I've read advertising blurbs that say something like "made from sugar, so natural."  Hmm, Henry Ford found a way to make auto bodies out of soybeans. Anyone want a bite?
  • Kristinnn
    well xylitol is made from birch and splenda a chemical process.. so i use xylitol more so and it doesnt mess with your blood sugar levels as regular sugar would.  Sure they say to sweeten things with say a medjool date or something but i personally still have to tweak it to make myself happy as anyone tweaks recipes or anything else in their lives to make it work for them.  I will probably stick with normal rubs and so on but i like to experiment.  i figured someone in here has messed around with it but maybe not.  

when it comes to this diet and things being "no fuss" i can tell you there is no way i am eating raw food.  you can make it no fuss if you want but i like to have fun with it :)
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    From the perspective of eating a paleo diet, I would suppose xylitol or Splenda (tm), are just not right. While current evidence seems to indicate that refined carbohydrates are a problem, a paleo diet would seem to me to be just food that could be made without much fuss. Raw, or w. minimal cooking. I suppose honey can be dried and powdered. But for a pork butt, why not make incisions, and poke in raisins, or slices of dried apple? Or figs or dates.

I've read advertising blurbs that say something like "made from sugar, so natural."  Hmm, Henry Ford found a way to make auto bodies out of soybeans. Anyone want a bite?
    I like the idea of using rasins/apple and its fructose to get the sweet flavor infused in meats.
    I've been cooking with rasins/currants/dried apricots for years..

I've recently found agave nectar which is brilliant. 
    Agave is a pure, unrefined, natural sweetener that is harvested from plants in the high desert region of Central Mexico. It is gluten and allergen free, and has a low glycemic index, which makes it one of the safest blood sugar foods because it will not over stimulate the production of insulin or cause sudden blood sugar spikes (like honey and refined sugars do).