Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breggfeast (er, I mean Breakfast)

HatchlingJr
HatchlingJr Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone,[p]We are having a street 'junk sale' this weekend and I would like to cook some breakfast on the egg during the festivities.[p]Any success or suggestions with breakfast on the Egg?[p]Yum - I can taste it already!

Comments

• HatchlingJr,[p]From Old Dave[p]Old Dave’s Breakfast Casserole[p]This recipe was developed for lazy cooks like myself who wanted a complete meal on Saturday morning at a contest without much work. I am sure it would work as well for the folks at the Eggfests.[p]It is very easy to make up in advance of your event and travels well in a cooler. It can be baked in any type of cooker / smoker at anywhere from about 250 to 350 degrees. It is best without a ton of smoke so the cooker needs to be burning pretty clean when you put it on for best results especially if you are using the lower temps. It will feed about 6-8 people.[p]· 16oz or tube of Bob Evans Zesty Hot Sausage
    · Bout 1-1/2 cups (6oz) of frozen hash brown potatoes
    · Bout 1/3 to 1/2 cup of chopped onions
    · Bout 1/3 to 1/2 cup of chopped bell pepper
    · 5 large eggs
    · Bout 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (I use the sharp)
    · Bout 3/4 tsp salt* (if you use the hot Jimmy Dean, leave this out)
    · 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    · 1 tsp leaf oregano
    · Paprika
    · 1 can Crescent rolls
    · 1 nine by nine (9"x 9") poultry pan
    · Pam for spraying the pan[p]Run some hot water into a pan or bowl for the potatoes. Place about 6oz of the potatoes in the water to thaw them out. Oil up a skillet and place the onions and bell peppers in it and cook them for about 5 minutes. Then add the sausage and brown it well. Drain the grease and water. Then add the 3 spices and mix well. In the container that will go into your cooler for this treat, crack the eggs and mix well. After the sausage and veggies have cooled, pour them into the container. Then add the hash browns that you have drained thru a colander. Then add the cheese and mix it all up and it is now ready to go into the cooler for your Saturday morning breakfast.[p]On Saturday morning, spray the pan with Pam and put 4 of the Crescent rolls on the bottom.[p]Then add the mixture from the container. Place the remaining rolls on top and add some paprika and it is ready for your cooker/smoker.[p]It will take about 2 hours at 250° at the grid or about 30 minutes at 350° at the grid but I just watch it and when the bread is browned up nice, I will pull it off the cooker.[p]I cut the casserole into 9 pieces and it makes a nice serving.
    Dave[p]

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning HatchlingJr:[p]Here is a link to a breakfast item I make quite often.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]Cheese/Sausage Roll[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    fest1.jpg
    <p />HatchlingJr,
    Here`s a shot of the way I do breakfast at Eggfest..kinda self explanatory...HTH[p]Wess

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    SSN686,[p]This is something I absolutely have to try...
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    biscuits1.JPG
    <p />HatchlingJr,[p]If you're real lazy like I am, biscuits are just about as simple as you can get (I usually smoke up some sausage on the Mini and throw them on the biscuits).[p]Just cover the top surface of your platesetter with aluminum foil and use this as your baking grid, then follow the directions on the biscuit box (or can, we just use those Pilsbury pop can deals).[p]Have fun,[p]TRex
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    CB2.jpg
    <p />HatchlingJr,[p]Here is a link about some cinnamon buns I make that come out great on a BGE. They are a bit of work but well worth the effort IMO.[p]Below is the recipe if you are interested.[p]The setup was an inverted plate setter with a cooking grid on the legs and a good, glean burning, fire. The icing recipe is a cream cheese frosting, mostly powdered sugar, cream cheese and butter. [p]Cinnamon Buns[p]Dough[p]¾ cup milk
    ½ cup sugar
    1 ¼ tsp salt
    ½ cup butter
    2 packages dry yeast
    1/3 cup of warm water (105°-115°)
    3 eggs, at room temperature
    5 ½ - 6 ½ cups flour[p]Combine milk, sugar, salt and butter in sauce pan. Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm.[p]Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl. Add milk mixture, eggs and 5 cups of flour. Mix for 3 minutes in a mixer with dough hooks or until well mixed if by hand. Add ½ cup of flour at a time until dough forms a ball and doesn’t stick to the bowl.[p]Place in a greased bowl, (turn to grease top) cover with a towel or waxed paper, and let rise for 1 hour in a warm spot.[p]Filling[p]1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup sugar
    ½ cup butter
    ¼ cup of flour
    1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
    ½ cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts[p]Mix in a mixer for one minute or by hand until well mixed.[p]Roll out dough to a 10” X 32” rectangle (about 1/4 “ thick). Spread cinnamon/sugar mixture evenly on dough except for ½”on the long sides. Roll up and pinch the seam tightly. Cut into 21- 1 ½” slices. Put 7 in each 9” pan, cover and let rise for 1 hour.[p]Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.[p][p][p]

[ul][li]Cinnamon Buns[/ul]
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    PICT0005.jpg
    <p />HatchlingJr,We love doign breakfast on ours. At the Texas Egg-Fest there were quite a few making all sorts of food on it :) [p]PICT0003.jpg[p]newsig.png
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Chuck,[p]Are these lo-carb?[p]muuuuuaaaaahhhhhhhh[p]love, mShark
  • Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    WessB, I second the wok idea. We made breakfast tacos,(sausage, egg, cheese and flour tortillas) in about 15 minutes at TXFest. Cook the sausage, scramble the eggs and warm the tortillas, fast and simple. tom

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    c8d8fbfd.jpg
    <p />HatchlingJr,
    from leftover meat like corned beef or brisket you can make up a potato and onion hash. another option i never tried but have had on a canteen truck is scrambled egg pizza with cheese and tomato slices. beans are another option, we eat beans up here for breakfast

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HatchlingJr,
    i did a beef tenderloin potato hash at waldorf eggfest. ..wok in the egg, stick of butter and a little oil... .chopped up onion and pototoes....work it in the wok till potatoes are soft. ..add leftover cut up beef tenderloin or prime rib. . ..wok it till the potatoes crisp up. . .good stuff[p]here's a link to a picture from waldorf. ..

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/wd2005/showphot.htm?Img_0881.jpg[/ul]
  • SSN686,[p]That looks absolutely delicious. Can't wait to try it!
  • Mike_W,[p]The eggs go on the bottom of the casserole?
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Mark Backer,
    That may be one of the easiest things you will make on the egg. And the end results, aside from arterie clogging are top notch. You will need to try this soon if you have not.
    -Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Everyone,[p]Thank you for the recipees - now I need to decide which one(s) to make? Maybe I should buy a second egg![p]Thanks again - I'm really looking forward to tomorrow evening.