Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

using old iron skillet

Options
zyppi
zyppi Posts: 1
edited June 2012 in Using the Egg
I wonder if I'll hurt my old, well seasoned cast iron skillets, to use them on the egg?

I can't imagine it would, but anyone had experience there?

Thanks, and thanks for all the help on this forum.

Anne

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I've used cast iron (skillets mostly) on both my egg and gasser, never had a problem. These pans are now "mine" as my wife has one of those ultra useless glass top ranges, looks great but you can't cook on it, especially with cast iron. With the egg there is a little more on the outside of the pan, the gasser tends to have less smoke. Rather than sear at 600F or so, I let my egg stabilize at 400F and then use the preheated cast pan to sear the outside of a pork loin or roast. Works better than a cast grate and because heat was lower the egg is ready to roast on. Keeps the carmel mess from my sugar rubs in the pan rather than on the grates. I then move the roast to the grate to roast it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • zyppi
    zyppi Posts: 1
    Options
    thanks,

didn't think about preheating the skillet.

These are old, well used, well love black skillets, not the pre-seasoned ones available now.