Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT suggestions

Options
bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
i would like yo try doing some ABT'S this weekend i've never done them before so any suggestions on how and what type would be greatly appreciated. or anything else similar to them ,
Thanks 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

I just split the chilis lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and fill with seasoned cream cheese ( I like a bit of garlic and cajun seasoning) and I cover with a half slice of bacon. I prep them the day before or hours before cooking to firm them up. Lower temps yield a smokier flavor (250° - 275°) When the bacon looks done to your liking, they're ready. Indirect legs up and foil covering the plate setter saves a messy cleanup.

Hope that is useful to you ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I pretty much do the same as squeezy, but wrap the bacon (half slice), and hold several together with a bamboo skewer.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I followed @griffin ABT post:  
    http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/atomic-buffalo-turds-abts/

Came out great!  The temp ran from 250F-325F for about an hour.  Just waited for crispy bacon.  Yum!  Here is a pic from last week
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2012
    Options

400 direct and raised. Mix half cream cheese with goat cheese and if you use maple bacon it is a plus. This is a Mini full

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Ain't no wrong way to do an ABT. Get creative. You can use chorizo, shrimp, pulled pork, whatever protein you have on hand. You can mix up the cheeses, but I find that its best to have a majority of cream cheese, otherwise might just all leak out.

@Cookbook_Chip - those look like they turned out wonderful. Great job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Thanks for all the input . I'll post pics if I get to do some this weekend
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    i like my abt's meaty! If i don't have any pulled pork or chopped brisket lying around I usually brown us some ground beef in taco seasoning and drain well....Than I mix room temp cream cheese, shredded cheddar, the meat and some good bbq rub and put it in a big ziploc freezer bag, push it all down to the bottom and cut the bottom corner off to use it as a piping bag. I split the jalepenos and de seed WELL, most people don't like the sudden surprise of burning heat! To really get the heat out, i've been told you can soak in sprite for a few hours to overnight, but have never done it myself. I don't go with that half strip of bacon nonsense. 2 of my abt's are a meal!!  Full strip of fairly thick meaty bacon wrapped around it so its fully covered, keeps all the cheese in!  Cook 350 indirect, or raised direct till the bacon's crispy!
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options

400 direct and raised. Mix half cream cheese with goat cheese and if you use maple bacon it is a plus. This is a Mini full

I love the idea of using goat cheese!  I need to make ABTs soon -- in all my years egging, I've never made them.  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    raised grid direct or inderect, either works

what ever you think would taste good in a hot pepper will work, theses were fresh peaches and blueberries with a dusting of sugar

you dont even have to wrap them, these were part fried and laid on top of boats filled with pulled pork asiago and cream cheese

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Options
    Here's what I did on the last batch:

• rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    Options
    Last night I tried them for the first time.  I split the peppers in half stuffed them with a shrimp, boudin, cream cheese concoction, wrapped them with BEEF bacon.  They were excellent! 
  • rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    Options
    Oh.......and I put the two halves back together so I would have a lot of pepper...