Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

direct or indirect method for plank salmon

phalerr
phalerr Posts: 1
edited June 2012 in Seafood

I'd like to know your thoughts on whether to use the direct or indirect cooking method for cooking salmon on an alder wood plank, as well as cooking temp and duration. Thank you!

Richard

Comments

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    My profile pic is cedar planked salmon. I cook it at around 375 - 400 degrees dome temp. Takes around 20 - 30 minutes. Cook mine till interal reaches 135, no higher for me. This temp keeps it moist. I haven't used an alder wood plank yet.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    The plank placed direct is what makes it an indirect cook. You want it to smoke.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    I cook mine direct on a cedar plank. Dome temp 375-400 for about 20 - 30 minutes or internal temp is 150.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Having only done this once (e.g take it for what it's worth)My understanding is that you want it direct. this way to can get the plank to smoke. 
    Soak plank, put on grate to heat on side direct, flip and put fish on hot side.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    My profile pic is cedar planked salmon. I cook it at around 375 - 400 degrees dome temp. Takes around 20 - 30 minutes. Cook mine till interal reaches 135, no higher for me. This temp keeps it moist. I haven't used an alder wood plank yet.
    Forgot to tell you, cook direct.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I prefer to pan sear my salmon and then cook them raised direct at 350 for 10 minutes or so per side. Did about 15 of these last night for our weekly neighborhood grill night and they turn out great. Once in the small I smoked them with peach and apple wood and glazed them with about a 30/70 maple syrup orange juice glaze with some butter mixed in. Topped with diced tomatoes, red onion, balsamic capers, garlic and feta all pre mixed together. Wish I had more pics but I was busy cooking. image

• phalerr
    phalerr Posts: 1

Many thanks to all respondents!

Richard