Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friend sent me a hilarious BBQ joke. Wait, it isn't a joke?

horseflesh
horseflesh Posts: 206
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just received this link: http://thebbqgrail.com/2012/guest-blog-post-the-minion-method-easy-low-and-slow-bbq/

"Reader’s Digest version: Long, consistent cooking
temps, without having to regularly add coals, or otherwise babysit your
cooker. Ideal for cooking at 225-250°F for more than 6 hours."

After you elaborately fiddle with your coals in search of a 6+ hour cook, don't forget your water pan every 2-4 hours too.

Comedy gold.

I'm going to hug my BGE when I get home from work.

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Been there Done That -- brings a tear to my eye ( not from emotion, from the smoke getting in my eyes while filling the water pan ).

We should have a national ( dare I say, international ) Hug Your Egg day....

Cookin in Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    This points out another BGE benefit if you have found your way here via other much more labor-intensive smokers-the true lack of attention required if you do all the prep work affords you the "gotta go check on the BGE" escape along with the opportunity to do nothing and feel good about it-however, I must be judicious with this tactic :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Makes me extremely happy I bought an egg. I had no idea those webers were so labor intensive, but I did know I didn't want to be buying another grill in 4 yrs.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    Been there done it myself as well.
    And to me the minion method was a great innovation.

I love my Patty. <3

Lol
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • horseflesh
    Whenever I am in a hardware store, walking by the rows of gassers and briquette burners, I kinda want to kick them.

A Weber didn't kill my dad that I'm aware of but I can't rule it out.

... honestly I guess I am just mad at myself for wasting 40 years of my life without a ceramic grill.
  • VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    I've had a WSM for 10+ years (and a kettle that's over 35).  I'd do 16 hour cooks and never check the water pan.  They really do a good job holding a steady temp (if you keep them out of the wind and rain).  Produced some great BBQ over the years. I love my WSM.

I've had my BGE for less than two weeks and can't see firing up the WSM ever again.
  • horseflesh
    Van, that's actually good to know, thanks for the other side. :)
  • mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    And I thought bge took prep work. That smoker would make me quit. Water temps, seriously?
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Never had a Weber - I had a side box (fire) - vertical Smoke chamber smoker before the Egg.   That thing could NOT go 2 hours without attention.   For fire, water, temp - anything.

Cooked some good bbq on it - cooked some very mediocre bbq on it.   Glad I gave it away.

Cookin in Texas
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I had a weber kettle and decided to try using it for some low and slow smoking probably about 10 years ago.  I got a dome thermometer from work, a Taylor, and didn't even think about it possibly needing calibration.  So I put some chicken on, indirect, with wood chips and kept the grill right at my desired temp for probably 3 hours by adding coals, adjusting vents, etc.  I mean it was a LOT of work.  Pulled them off and they were raw inside.  My thermometer was so far off, probably 100 degrees.  I never tried to smoke on the weber again just out of disgust.  It was my fault, but this reminded me of how much work it was to keep a steady fire.

It also reminds me how little I knew about cooking on the grill in general, oh how I wish I'd bought an instant read thermometer earlier in life :)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I currently have a side by side smoker. I've made some great food on it, but it calls for too much attention during cooks and that interrupts my drinking, yard work, watching the game.
    I bought a XL BGE for simpler (lazier) cooks that don't require my attention every half hour or so.

The efficiency of the egg is the main reason I bought it.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    The WSM is second only to BGE for ease of long smokes (I've had a WSM for years). The article was bit over the top with details. I used a larger water pan and never refilled during 18hr cooks and they hold temp overnight without issues. They do burn much more charcoal and are more sensitive to wind.

Offset smokers are a PITA though. :-)
    Cedar Park, TX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    At the beginning of this year I was going to get a WSM to replace my old leaky brinkman vertical water smoker. The Mrs asked me about that big green thing on Bobby Flay's BBQ addiction show, and if it really was that much better.Once I told her about the benefits, and warranty, we brought home the BGE.
    BBQ has never been easier, and grilling, never more flavorful since. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!