Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC - The King of Coolers?

2»

Comments

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147

Take a look at K2 Coolers.  They hold ice better than any Yeti ever made and they dont cost near as much.

http://k2-coolers.com/

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    All things YETI are epic.  Especially the beer!
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344

Take a look at K2 Coolers.  They hold ice better than any Yeti ever made and they dont cost near as much.

Absolutely wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

The K2 cannot hold a candle to the Yeti.

• walleyv

JW if I could I would bet you at 2 to 1 odds the K2 will hold ice longer than any Yeti.  I deep sea fish a lot and make runs of 120 miles staying on the water for up to 4 days at a time.  I can prove without a doubt my K2's will holdd ice longer.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

I agree. Funny thing anytime someone mentions a certain cooler is better than a Yeti, and everyone compares to a Yeti so that tells ya something, but they all look like Yeti knock offs.

Are they still good coolers? Sure. Just like the Komodo grill at Lowes is better than most other grills. But at the end of the day that grill is just a knockoff of a BGE.

I would def compare a BGE and a Yeti to everything else they compete against in the market.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    I also just compared the price of 3 diff sizes of Yeti and K2

There is not much of a price difference and most local stores sell them cheaper than on the Yeti size by 10-40, depending on size
    Boom
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474

I agree. Funny thing anytime someone mentions a certain cooler is better than a Yeti, and everyone compares to a Yeti so that tells ya something, but they all look like Yeti knock offs.

Are they still good coolers? Sure. Just like the Komodo grill at Lowes is better than most other grills. But at the end of the day that grill is just a knockoff of a BGE.

I would def compare a BGE and a Yeti to everything else they compete against in the market.

Actually, I think the yeti is a knock off on an Icey tek which was around before it. That being said I wouldnt mind getting a yeti looks more modern. It looks like a great ice chest. Either one can extend keeping cool for days with a litle dry ice. I went 5 days in Baja with my icey tek 270QT no problem with dry ice added before i left. Anything better would need ac like the upper Engels coolers.

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Fridge-Freezer-Two-Tone-Gray-34/dp/B00042JXKW
  • walleyv

Yeti bought out Icey Tek a couple of years ago.  I have a 10 year old Icey Tek and holds ice better than the new Yeti does.

• FanOfFanboys
    Yeti did buy icey tek in 2008 but Yeti was founded in 2005. They bought for the patents, etc.
    No diff than any company buying another.

Icey tek were/are good coolers tho I would be a bit skeptical 10 year old cooler could hold up against a modern Yeti. The foam/insulation breaks down over time, etc. I'm sure it's still better than coolers most people use, but if you live near SC we can find out for sure. Fun competition and someone would have to drink all the beer we were keeping cold.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    But one of the main selling points of a Yeti isn't that it holds ice the absolute longest, tho if the conditions are exactly the same they would be close enough it's negligible compared to other high end coolers, but the build quality and how long they'll last. Stand on them, toss in truck, leave in woods for couple weeks, use as a seat, etc.
    They are meant to take a beating from professional anglers and hunters. So for most laymen like us can get incredible length of time out of them with breaking or parts failing all while coming close to like new ice retention.

Obviously everyone has their preference and if you are spending money on an Engel or K2 your in the same ball park. Either you love the experience you had with your model, you like being contrarian (which we all do at times), or someone's opinion you trust said x was better or Yeti wasn't as good as x, etc.

Either way if you are looking at a cooler in this price range they all will be 97% as good as the other. Each will have its own strength. If the price was right I'd surely pick up an Engel or something. If I got a great deal. And I'm sure I'd be happy with it. But next time I need a cooler, and eventually I'll get a 150-160qt, and if I'm paying full price I'll get the Yeti bc I trust the product and have had good experience with it.

Just my $0.02
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    My Yeti. I like how from the factory they put customer decals/logos on and the process equals something that'll last a long time
    Boom
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    That really nice! And btw I liked hearing the Icey tek/ yeti history from you guys. I will certainly get a yeti for my next cooler.
  • walleyv
    Yeti is a good cooler no doubt.  I'm comparing my experience against my friends that have Yeti's.  For the money K2's are a better value because I bought mine from a dealer that sells thems cheaper than K2 does on their web site. K2's 160 on the web site is $439 but  I got it for $349 from a dealer here in south Miss. Thats cheaper than Yeti from what I have seen but I wouldn't take $500 for my ole Icey Tek.  That thing got me through Katrina by holding ice for 9 days. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    That really nice! And btw I liked hearing the Icey tek/ yeti history from you guys. I will certainly get a yeti for my next cooler.

Do research. Here in SC prices vary a lot. Example a 50qt can be as low as $270 and as high as 340.

One of my friends is friends with someone who sells them. Wouldn't give me the discount but he got 105qt for 360. So worth calling the local stores who carry. And the decals that come on them can add to price. Some charge $10 extra, some charge $30. Bear that in mind.
    Boom
  • CCC74
    CCC74 Posts: 11
    People seem to like the Brute Box: http://www.bruteoutdoors.com/ Never used one. Igloo came out with a Yukon cooler. Looks nice, but costs more than the Yeti. The Yeti is great for trips to the great outdoors, but for use in the back yard the igloo's and coleman's do fine.

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    I do know Coleman makes a 5 day cooler that didn't hold ice for 24 hours.  Huge disappointment at my first camping trip with it.  Wait, maybe it was tested in Fairbanks in winter.  Now I must admit, I was pulling out a beer now and again. :)

did you know the coleman factory in new braunfels has a scratch and dent and overstock sale every memorial day weekend?  some killer deals there
  • CTG
    CTG Posts: 7
    The best cooler on the market is an engel cooler. They hold ice longer than a yeti.  The researchers and high ups of yeti left the engel company and made a knock off "yeti".  Engel is the a little cheaper than yeti (20 or 40$) but is better rated for ice and has better straps and handles and the company is easy to work with.
  • A small Yeti. I have the 35. I fill the remaining dead space with extra towels after I put the meat in. 2 pork butts FTC for 8 hours and piping hot.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Old thread, but what the hell.  Pelican 45.  If I anticipate a very long FTC, I boil a few gallons of water, throw it in the cooler.  Let it sit for 20 minutes, pour it out.  FTC is good for at least 12 hours until meat drops into the danger zone.  Or longer. 
    Nola, I ordered a 45 qt Pelican from Pelicancases.com 2 and a half weeks ago. Still waiting on delivery. couldn't beat the price. Hope it's worth the wait. You happy with yours?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

GQuiz said:
    Nola, I ordered a 45 qt Pelican from Pelicancases.com 2 and a half weeks ago. Still waiting on delivery. couldn't beat the price. Hope it's worth the wait. You happy with yours?
    Very. I love it.  I've been using Pelican cases for years.  Military grade.  Everything metal is stainless and the latches are designed to be opened if you have giant mittens on.  The seal is so good it draws a vacuum.  Only down side is it's very heavy and large for the internal size...but that's the price to pay for durability and insulation.
    I use a styrofoam cooler that Omaha Steaks came in (sent by a coworker), or the styrofoam one the Lou Malnati's frozen pizza came in (before I learned to cook Chicago Deep Dish on the Egg).  I've kept a brisket hot for at least 6 hours, and don't worry about forgetting to bring it home.  At one time had half a dozen of them in the garage, but now down to 3 - until Christmas when the steaks arrive again.  
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I use a cheap cooler, though I know where to come if I upgrade, now. Most important, to me, is heating the towels and cooler if FTCing for a while. I put them in the dryer. Works fantastic.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    You guys crack me up! I use an old styrofoam cooler with the towels and that meat is still steaming hot after 4-5 hours!
    Judy in San Diego