Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smooked Meatloaf

Comments

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    if you ever make one of these.... you will throw rocks at a pyrex dish or loaf pan style meat loaf.  At 160 degree's the moistness and flavor are perfect....as i was told earlier, make 2 ... 1 to eat now and 1 for sandwiches

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195

I just took of the thermomter off the egg stuck the prob in boiling water it came in around 100, so it's off by at lest 112. So for all the time it was cooking at 360 no wonder it was over done. I guess what I need now is a new theromoeter for the dome and a Maverick. Thanks

• onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    You can celebrate the dome thermometer
    Chesapeake, VA
  • VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    @Ellis, you're sure it's reading Fahrenheit?
  • onelikearock
    Ellis,
     If the attachment is not clear I will e-mail you the same.

Richard

Instructions attached:
    Chesapeake, VA
  • onelikearock
    @Ellis, you're sure it's reading Fahrenheit?
    VanDog38 may have the answer. You may be reading the C scale not the F scale which is on the outside.?????
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Ellis
    I'll ck it again maybe I didn't keeo in for a total of 3 min.  I think VanDog was joking, right ???? Thanks You
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Man!!!!  I love meatloaf and hadn't even thought about cooking it on my egg!!!  Dern it looks great!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • onelikearock
    I don't think VanDog was joking.  100 degrees C = 212 degrees F . I can't imagine any thermometer being 100 degrees off, but possible.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Ellis
    I'm sure I didn't keep the thermometor in the water for 3 mim. I'm going to do it again this afternoon when I return. The thermometor was replaced about 6 mo. ago. Thanks 
  • mjontrack
    mjontrack Posts: 18
    I gotta try one of these. THX!
  • Smoked meatloaf at 260 degree
    between 3 and 4 hours. Internal temperature 160 degrees, melt in your mouth
    flavor.
    That looks good, going to make one today. 
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    great idea.  add it to the list!  THE Mrs. loves the egg, because i do all of the cooking on the weekends.  I just love this thing!  thanks to all for keeping the ideas and help!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Just made and cooked the recipe that onelikearock posted above. Between two of us, half is already gone and the rest will be for sandwiches this week. Thanks for posting the recipe and pics. 

• onelikearock
    Just made and cooked the recipe that onelikearock posted above. Between two of us, half is already gone and the rest will be for sandwiches this week. Thanks for posting the recipe and pics. 

Really like what you are using to place the meatloaf on. Is it setting on a large egg? Would like purchase info on it.
    Thanks
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I do all mine low-n-slow ... for the xtra smoke flavor ... and love changing the recipe each time too....
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Onelikearock,
    The vegetable WOK was given to me a couple of years ago, but I think the same item is for sale on Amazon  . Yes it is on my large BGE sitting on my homemade adjustable rack.

john
  • pasoegg
    all this talk about meat loaf and just found out the wife is doing 2 for us tonite....hope the neighbors don't find out....i am going to have me some left overs

Winston-Salem, NC

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    For what its worth, the two loaves I've made I molded with my hands and room-temperature meat, didn't refrigerate them to firm them up at all; no problems.  One was cooked in an aluminum tray, the other on the CI grid (flat side up).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• This meatloaf was awesome! Love that smokey flavor!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    edited June 2012
    For what its worth, the two loaves I've made I molded with my hands and room-temperature meat, didn't refrigerate them to firm them up at all; no problems.  One was cooked in an aluminum tray, the other on the CI grid (flat side up).  
    @Botch Did you find any benefit to using a CI grid? Just curious. 
  • pasoegg
    we had left overs last night....the meat loaf was as good warmed as the first go round....smokey flavor is what set's this dish off from any other way of fixing meat loaf...is there a meat loaf meeting you can go to when you get hooked to help with your problem???

Winston-Salem, NC

• onelikearock
    we had left overs last night....the meat loaf was as good warmed as the first go round....smokey flavor is what set's this dish off from any other way of fixing meat loaf...is there a meat loaf meeting you can go to when you get hooked to help with your problem???
    Smoked Meatloaf Addicts Anonymous. The addicts can be recognized by the big smile on their face and a smoky aroma emanating from their clothes.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • pasoegg
    that would be me!!!!  I think I resemble that remark!  Maybe we can start a chapter online.

Winston-Salem, NC

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Smoked Meatloaf Addicts Anonymous. The addicts can be recognized by the big smile on their face and a smoky aroma emanating from their clothes.
    My name is  Brownie..........and I'm a smoked meatloaf addict.
  • Hogman348
    Hogman348 Posts: 70
    I am cooking this one later today but going to add some Italian sausage to the mix! Cant wait. I'll let you know how it goes
    Woodstock, GA
  • onelikearock
    I am cooking this one later today but going to add some Italian sausage to the mix! Cant wait. I'll let you know how it goes

Most any recipe you like will be great smoked.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Hogman348
    Hogman348 Posts: 70
    Here is the tricky part.. Weather today 95+ in the sun. I did move the egg into the shade and it dropped 5-10 degrees in less than a min.  Keeping the grill at 260 means almost keeping both bottom and dw shut all the way down and not getting much smoke from the chips.. it did smoke for about 20 mins, but now nothing for last 30 mins. 

any tips on how to get constant smoke at low n slow? at least for an hour or 2.

thx
    Woodstock, GA
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    any tips on how to get constant smoke at low n slow? at least for an hour or 2.
    Step out and sniff next to your DW - if you can smell smoke, so can your food. It doesn't have to be visible to be effective.
  • trin98
    trin98 Posts: 3
    Maybe this was answered already, but is this cooked direct or indirect?
    XL BGE, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Luxor 50" Built In