Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs tonight?

Richtermedic
Richtermedic Posts: 49
edited June 2012 in Pork
Im wanting to make ribs tonight on my XL. Just the two of us for dinner maybe even a couple friends we will have to see. About how long to cook these? I'm thinking about 4 hours at around 250. Any thoughts?

This will be ur first set of ribs. Brand new egger... Got it 3 days ago and have cooked on it every night. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I do the Car Wash Mike method.    Figure around 4.5 to 5 hours for Baby Backs at 250 to 275
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Our took about 5 hours and were terrific! Here's a link to how we made them. They were so tender and tasty, that we are making them again today...

• Spare ribs take about 5 hours indirect at 275 dome temp.  Baby backs cook quicker and will probably take about 4 hours.  I keep it simple and just put some dry rub on the ribs.  Cook bone side down and remove the silvery film from ribs prior to cooking.

The trick is to keep the temperature pretty stable 250 - 275 and resist the urge to open the dome.  Ribs are done when the bend easily.  Take your time and enjoy the ride.  Totally worth it.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Just got home with a rack of back spareribs. Have got apple chips soaking. Just added some lump and put the electric starter in. Gonna use the plate setter for the first time and put a drip pan in as well. Looking for target dome temp of 250-275. Will post more as the adventure continues. I have my own secret recipe BBQ sauce. Have some made up that I will use towards the end. Already got lump lit by the time I posted. Gotta go.
  • lisanevada
    lisanevada Posts: 17
    My baby backs are about 30 minutes in. 300 degrees or so indirect. The ribs are rubbed with a dizzy pig/turbinado sugar blend. I am giving them a periodic spritz with apple cider vinegar. It's my second time cooking ribs; first time with bb.

I am still relatively new to the BGE and I love this forum and all of the options y'all provide. It's so nice to be part of civilized, non-judgemental group of people.
  • Havin some slight difficulty with temp control. For a long time could. It get above 220. Now about 300. 3 1/2 hours in. At 3 hours I wrapped in foil. I didn't really rub this rack this time and I had some trouble skinning them. I finally gave up on the skinning part and threw em on. I did use apple wood chips and I put some apple cider vinstar in the drip pan. I'm gonna unwrap and baste with sauce in about 20 minutes.
  • Uncovered and sauce has been applied liberally. They're looking good!
  • Ours are looking fabulous too! just about to uncover and baste. Happy Eating everyone!
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Spare ribs are kind of hard to get the membrane off.    The best way is to use a paper towel to grab it but you may have to grab in more than one place.   Some swear ribs hold in mositure better if you leave it on though so no harm no foul.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Not quite getting to 175 on meat thermometer. Kickin up the temp a bit to caramelize te sauce too. How's everyone else fairing?
  • lisanevada
    Taking longer than I had hoped but I am trying to be patient.

I have them wrapped in foil right now.
  • lisanevada
    Good but not great. The meat is cooked properly but I think I really need to find a good rub or marinade as they are just not tasting the way I had hoped. I suppose that is part of the fun!

Goodnight all.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Last night I found some inexpensive "boneless spare ribs" and have them on the Small right now.  I've always cooked ribs until the meat shrinks exposing bone, and they sag the right amount when lifted, but, heh, I don't have any bones here!
    What's the proper internal temp for boneless ribs?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    @ Botch-I don't try for temp on ribs but do the toothpick test-insert into the thickest part of your ribs and when you get no resistance "in and out" (no jokes here!) you are good to go. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Thanks Lou!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.