Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gloves Again - Help me pick some

cssmd27
cssmd27 Posts: 345
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want some high heat resistant gloves to handle the plate setter and stone in my spider when changing between indirect and direct.  Here's some that I think give me the max protection without getting into the silly price category:

http://www.ironclad.com/products/gloves/hw6x-heatworx-heavy-duty

http://www.millersafetyproducts.com/GroupInfo/GroupID/23703

http://www.allsafetysupplies.com/Chicago-Z14P2W-Zetex-Plus-Glove-14-Dbl-Palm-and-Thumb-Pair_p_237.html

http://www.allsafetysupplies.com/Heat-Resistant-Glove-Size-One-Size-Fits-Most-Material-PBIKevlar-Wool-Lining-Max-Temp-1300-F-Length-14-In-Color-Brown-Application-High-Heat-Applications-and-Hot-Metal-Object-Handling-Sold-As-Pair_p_218.html

Any thoughts on best choices?  I would imagine the warmest ceramic I would need to touch would be around 550 and that's just to lift it and get it out, not hold on to it for an extended period.

Also looking at getting a pair of these to deal with any food issues:  http://www.constructiongear.com/ansell-thermaprene-gloves.html?lsku=UA190248S

All comments and suggestions welcome.  Last time I used my leather Wells Lamont gloves from Costco to take out my hot plate setter, my fingers were pretty darn toasty by the time I got it to the ground (less than 10 seconds) and the residual heat in the touched portions had me hopping to get them off.  I decided I need to upgrade.
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    I have a pair of the welders gloves sold by cgs and can't feel a thing when handling hot grids etc.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i would think if your dome temp is say 400 and you have a PS in then that is hotter than 400 being its closer to the fire . Me i'd get the ones rated at 2000 degrees price isn't that much different 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I removed my plate setter and stone to add more charcoal after cooking pizzas. The egg was at 600 for about 6 hours. Temp dropped and wouldn't go above 500 so I added more charcoal. I used Ove Gloves. No issues at all.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    i would think if your dome temp is say 400 and you have a PS in then that is hotter than 400 being its closer to the fire . Me i'd get the ones rated at 2000 degrees price isn't that much different 
    I started out thinking that way.  Then, after thinking about it and reading between the lines, I think these industrial gloves are rated differently that what my use is.  If it says 600 degrees, that means a much more sustained 600 degrees than what I will experience removing a ceramic piece and setting it down.  It might be 750+, but I'll only be exposed to it for 15-20 seconds at most.  These industrial gloves are designed for more sustained exposure.  They can't really claim sustained exposure ratings because in the industrial world that likely means hours at a time.  So, they claim intermittent (or similar term).  My bet is that anything rated 600 would be fine unless you want to just stick your hand in the coals for a while.

cortguitarman's comments speak indirectly to what I'm talking about.  If he can use Ove Gloves for moving a pizza stone around at 500 without feeling the heat, then all these industrial ones should be just fine.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Just bought some Master Forge gloves at Lowe's for 9.99. Thick leather gloves that go up to almost your elbow. I am going to try them out tonight on a t-rex steak.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I got one of the BGE brand gloves as a gift (wouldn't have picked it out probably) and it's actually pretty nice.  I can grab my platesetter after a cook to go direct with no problem.  I don't hold it long, just enough to remove it and sit it on my table.  
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Ove gloves. I pick up glowing coals out of my mini when tailgating to cool it down quicker with them. Platesetter is no big deal at 400 won't even feel it. Got a pair online for like $20.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    This is my next purchase. I did steak and veggies tonight. Moved stuff in and out direct indirect direct crazy mess blowbacks and everything. It's a wonder im alive and made so many mistakes sober. Was off my game today.... I could definitely feel the heat through my plan old leather work gloves.

XLBGE 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    The BGE gloves or ove gloves are very good for removing platesetter, etc.  I have a pair of each and have no problems.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    go on grainger's website... they have a serious selection
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Gotta love the Ove Glove
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    Stucture fire glove.  www.firestore.com
    LET'S EAT
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    I use the welders gloves from CGS. You can buy the welders gloves and meat gloves for 20 bucks for both. Unless you plan to take the plate setter for a walk around the yard these are all you need.

George
    George