Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

L shaped table design

JwgreDeux
JwgreDeux Posts: 139
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I'm working on a design for an L shaped table to go in a corner area of my deck.  I've go quite a bit of room to work with, but I can't make my mind up if I want my large egg to sit in the corner or in the short side of the L.  Thoughts?

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    After making my table, I wish I would've put my egg towards the one end so I have a larger single work surface than splitting my work surface into two. If I had your set-up, I would put your egg on the short side with a larger prep area.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    When I make my table I am going to do some sort of an L. Our house is for sale now and when we move I'm going to build it.

I was thinking of a corner table with the egg in the middle or like you said an L with the egg on te short side work area on the right since I'm right handed. You got any plans scribbled out?

XLBGE 
  • JwgreDeux
    Yeah, I've got some sketches, with the egg in the corner and with the egg on the short side.  In looking at them it seems like putting the egg in the corner will leave me the most amount of counter space to use, and some on each side.  I feel like if I put it on the short side, there will be wasted space as I won't actually use the corner for anything. 
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Plan ahead.... You know you are going to want another egg someday :-O
  • I built a similar table myself maybe this will give you some ideas.
  • JwgreDeux
    Yeah, something like that placement-wise.  Do you like it in the corner when you are standing in front of it?

• Yeah, something like that placement-wise.  Do you like it in the corner when you are standing in front of it?

Yes easy to get to and alot of prep room.
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    I was thinking of a corner table with the egg in the middle or like you said an L with the egg on te short side work area on the right since I'm right handed. You got any plans scribbled out?
    I was thinking the same thing... where the egg and short/long sides go should be based on whether you are right or left handed.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Hmm didn't really think about the corner being wasted if the egg was on the short side. It'd be a good place for a light and BBQ guru and maverick.

I'm leaning more toward corner design like sandman has. Can have from left to right a raw prep area, then egg, then done cut area or somethig like that...

Biggest thing I'm wanting is the perfect plan... Ha I know it'll never be finished but I wanna try and plan all I can into it.

XLBGE 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    If where table will go will be is uncovered, it might be a good place to put the umbrella pole.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MrCookingNurse
    If where table will go will be is uncovered, it might be a good place to put the umbrella pole.
    Never thought of this!!

XLBGE 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    Seems like putting flame near my egg attracts rain, always a thought for me. also it seems like a lot of folks here have a covered area to keep their egg.
    Glad I was able to give you a new idea. Its in my hopper for when i build mine.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Sandman you wouldn't by chance have plans for that table would you?
    Lynnwood WA