Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smooked Meatloaf

onelikearock
onelikearock Posts: 115
edited June 2012 in Beef
Smoked meatloaf at 260 degree
between 3 and 4 hours. Internal temperature 160 degrees, melt in your mouth
flavor.
Chesapeake, VA

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that's a big-un. wow.

i remember the moment i realized not everyone made meat loaf in a pyrex dish> haha since then, nothing but a panless meatloaf will do.

never done it low-n-slow like yours (usually go 325-375).  will give your way a try.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Looks good, I too will give it a try.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice. What did you put in it?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• onelikearock
    Very nice. What did you put in it?
    1 1/2 lb ground chuck, 3 slices of crumbled bread, medium sweet onion, 4 oz of graded sharp cheese, 1/2 cup finely graded carrot, salt, pepper, 1 egg and 2/3 cup milk.  Topping:1 Tbls mustard, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup brown sugar.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited June 2012
    Looks great. I'm doin one too!

What kind of smoke did you use?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • onelikearock
    Looks great. I'm doin one too!

What kind of smoke did you use?
    Hickory
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Awesome.  Smoked meatloaf is one of my favorite things in the egg.  Also, those sammichs the next couple of days will really be great.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Awesome.  Smoked meatloaf is one of my favorite things in the egg.  Also, those sammichs the next couple of days will really be great.
    +1
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    just made one tonite....it was so good i don't know what to say....had visitors and now they want to come for every BGE cook....this is truly an addictive meal....i would say the sandwiches would be out  of this world but don't think there will be any leftovers to try....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

Looks very good I will try low and slow too.  I enjoy taking my time and watching the smoke, relaxing and sipping on a beverage...  Way better than watching paint dry. 

• onelikearock
    just made one tonite....it was so good i don't know what to say....had visitors and now they want to come for every BGE cook....this is truly an addictive meal....i would say the sandwiches would be out  of this world but don't think there will be any leftovers to try....

Next time make two, one just for sandwiches.............
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Smoked meatloaf is outstanding! Looks great.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Great looking meatloaf. Seems like its been a meatloaf week. I've seen quite a few across different BBQ forums this week. Think I'll add some cheese into mine next time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Cool! We do meatloaf all the time. Never have on the egg. Gonna have to try this!

XLBGE 
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    That looks so good I need to try it today, ? how did you form it in a dish or pan.
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Can't wait to do this.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • onelikearock
    That looks so good I need to try it today, ? how did you form it in a dish or pan.

I formed it in a loaf pan the day before to help it set up.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Ellis
    Do you think i could get away with 5 Hr. for it to set up, was looing forward to haveing it tonight. thanks
  • onelikearock
    Do you think i could get away with 5 Hr. for it to set up, was looing forward to haveing it tonight. thanks

I have done it both ways with good results, 4 or 5 hours should do well.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Ellis
    It's in the frig now, this will be the longest thing I have ever cooked. I'm new at this as you can tell.I love my egg , I must go through a 40 # bag a week. My wife loves it to, maybe because I'm outside alot. Thanks again.
  • onelikearock
    It's in the frig now, this will be the longest thing I have ever cooked. I'm new at this as you can tell.I love my egg , I must go through a 40 # bag a week. My wife loves it to, maybe because I'm outside alot. Thanks again.

Let us know how it turns out. Be sure to use a thermometer to monitor internal temp, do not want to over cook, 160 degree came out nice and juicy after a 10 min. rest.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Smoker_J
    Smoker_J Posts: 2
    Looks Great! Cant wait to try it, thanks for sharing.
  • Ellis

I will let you know tonight, I kept an eye on the temp, no maverick or anything Hi-Tec just my Thermapen.Maybe thats why no long cook yet. Thanks for the tips

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    When they said to use a loaf pan to shape it, don't forget to line with plastic wrap, to make your life easy.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Ellis
    To late for the plastic wrap tazcrash. I hit the pan with some Pam befor I put the meat in, hope that works. Thanks
  • Smity
    Smity Posts: 57
    I made 2 last weekend and there was still none left for sandwiches:(
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Oops, well good luck.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    I just did one last night and it was truly the best thing ever!! Had enough left for one sandwich tonight. Now just sad that it's gone!!

:((
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Ellis

The pam worked good next time I will try plastic wrap. That was the good part. I think I have to ck my thermometer tomorrow, it never read over 275. After 2 hours I had to take a look, real dark, uh oh. Put the thermapen in it was @210. Even though it was a little dry it tasted grate. I will get this down.

• onelikearock
    Ellis,

I will assume you cooked
    indirect? The old saying is "It's done when It's done" is what happened to you.
    The internal temp, not time, is what tells you when it is done. You REALLY need
    a thermometer to monitor the internal temp of the item you are cooking. I use my
    Thermapen to check the item when my monitoring thermometer gets close to my
    target temp. I have a Maverick ET-732 which monitors both grate and item temps,
    two probes. The 732 is the latest from Maverick and is also remote up to 300
    feet with alerts etc. 
    Chesapeake, VA