Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rate your accessories!

TrickyRick
TrickyRick Posts: 6
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone this is only my second post and just became an Egghead on Sunday for fathers day.  Love it already but I have to admit that spending a thousand dollars on a BBG grill was a little daunting.  Now on to more important things!  Looking at all of the BGE and other aftermarket accessories can be a little overwhelming (and cost another $1000) so how would you rate your most useful/can't miss items for your BGE?  Top 5 you would get in order?  Thanks I already love this forum and have spent the last couple of days reading everything I can.

Rick

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Welcome and you are right that you can toss lots of post initial purchase $$ at the after-market toys.  To get the maximum functionality from your BGE the first thing I would get is a way to do indirect cooks-you can get a second grate and a few fire bricks to create a diffuser.  Raised grid direct-same deal except use the bricks to support the upper grate.  (Note empty beer cans are good for raising the grid as well.)

A good instant read thermo is the way to go for the hot&fast cooks.  For low&slows-you need something to check the temps as you approach the finish temp.  A cheap (but calibrated) bimetalic will work. for starters.

Cook on the BGE for a while and then sort out what you think you may need-big difference between "want" and need".  But the journey is what makes it great-and you need a cooler with lots of beer for the low&slows:)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    my favs i have are as follows
    platesetter
    pizza stone
    grid extender
    porcelain tray with holes.not sure what to call it. i got it at homegoods for next to nothing
    some sort of cast iron item

if i were to do it over i would get a set up from the ceramic grill store like the flip 3 with the adjustable rif or something..or the woo with a rig.. they show different options on the ordering page.  

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    thermapen
    adjustable rig and pizza stone
    platesetter
    bricks
    grid extender

in that order. Best investment you'll ever make is in a good INSTANT read thermometer 
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Hi everyone this is only my second post and just became an Egghead on Sunday for fathers day.  Love it already but I have to admit that spending a thousand dollars on a BBG grill was a little daunting.  Now on to more important things!  Looking at all of the BGE and other aftermarket accessories can be a little overwhelming (and cost another $1000) so how would you rate your most useful/can't miss items for your BGE?  Top 5 you would get in order?  Thanks I already love this forum and have spent the last couple of days reading everything I can.

Rick
    All:

I am also a new Egger - my wife got me a Large for Father's Day (I guess she's a keeper), and I spent the weekend breaking it in.  Steaks, shish kabobs, and turbo ribs were all great.

The only accessories that I've gotten so far are a plate setter and eggmates.  I also ordered some Dizzy Pig Rubs on the recommendation of Travis.  I'm happy with my purchases thus far, but want to spend my money wisely going forward.  I'm considering getting an adjustable rig combo and thermopen next.  Any suggestions from the more learned are welcome.  

Also, I'm attaching a pic of my first go at turbo ribs.  They were great.

Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    If you have a platesetter my recommendation is a thermometer.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

I like my Adjustable Rig with the 13x17 grate and stone.  If you are going with the Ajustable rig, not not get the platesetter, as they are not compatible.

I think you can get the rig, and stone for like $150.  Those are the only accessories i have needed. (already had a meat thermometer)

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Plate setter
    Thermapen or Maverick (both)
    Cast iron grate (steaks)
    Extended grid
    Pizza stone
  • Seems everyone likes the placesetter and then the thermopen or would it be better to go with a remote thermometer?  Thanks for everyone's responses!!!

Rick
  • Sorry plate setter!!!  Whole new terminology!!

• Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76
    I personally would go witht he PLATESETTER first, at least 60-60% of my cooks are using it.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

1. Number one thing you need is a way to cook indirect. Whether you go with a place setter or an adjustable rig and a stone is up to you. (I have a placestter)

2. Some type of thermometer. Maverick ET -732 for a remote, Thermapen to check directly (I have both but hardly use my Maverick now that I have a pit controller)

3. A way to raise your grate. I have the BGE Grate Extender (do not recommend). Other options are Adjustable Rig or Woo or make your own with an extra grate and some nuts and bolts.

4. Pizza stone

5. Wok (and spider to hold it)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    1)  Plate Setter
    2)  Cast iron grate
    3)  Quality digital thermometers (instant and remote)
    4)  MAPpro torch for lighting lump
    5)  A cheap deep dish pizza pan.  Cover in foil and use as a drip pan on top of your plate setter - easy clean up.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • noid1037
    noid1037 Posts: 33

I would do the following....

Plate Setter

BBQ Guru Party Q temp controller... will see in six months if it ranks this high 

Digital temp probe

Maverick 732 remote temp probe

Might consider the Ceramic Grill store adjustable grate setup in the near future.

Good luck on the future cooks on the BGE...

BGE Large... Go get 'em! "Cant means you haven't tried."

Tulsa, OK

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    This is a good read as I'm in the same boat.  Brand new XL BGE and doing my research.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• ejm63
    ejm63 Posts: 3

1) Plate Setter-Allows heat to radiate within the dome while preventing the flame and direct heat from the  fire from reaching you food refered ti as inderict cooking- Appx; $65

2) Cast Iron Cooking Grid- If you like sear marks on your food and superior heat conductivity- Appox; $65

3) DigiQ Dx2 System- Get ready its expensive but to me worth every penney. Unless you enjoy baby sitting your BGE hourly through a long slow cook this is a must. It performa as advertised without question for mor and to be amazed visit; http://www.thebbqguru.com/ The BBQ Gure makes it for the BGE folks. Ok ready? Appox; $290. I know, I know, but it works and really is not that much over time because of the money saved from screwing up expensive cuts and of course being able to sleep thru a 12 hour cook is great.

4) Electric Charcoal Starter; Has your fire going in about five to seven minutes and over the long run less expensive than Natural Charcoal Starters- Appox $30.00

5) Grill gripper; Grabs your hot or cooled Stainless or cast iron cooking grids will little effort another make life easy item- Appox; $12

Cost for Plate Setter and Cast Iron Cooking are for a large BGE.

I hope this helps and good luck!

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    It's not a very fun accessory but how do you all clean out the ashes at the bottom if you don't have the BGE ash tool?  I love my cast iron grate.  I bought the Komodo Joe version of the plate setter which was probably a mistake although it gives you a bit more versatility for a newbie (it can be adjusted to different levels).
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • ejm63
    I use my shop vac...
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    It's not a very fun accessory but how do you all clean out the ashes at the bottom if you don't have the BGE ash tool?  I love my cast iron grate.  I bought the Komodo Joe version of the plate setter which was probably a mistake although it gives you a bit more versatility for a newbie (it can be adjusted to different levels).
    Shopvac
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Good idea on the Shop Vac.  Thanks for all the info.

Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Seems everyone likes the placesetter and then the thermopen or would it be better to go with a remote thermometer?  Thanks for everyone's responses!!!

Rick
    The thermo pen is for steaks, chops things that you have done on a direct cook.  Remote is used for low and slows.

You can also use the thermo pen to check other spots when your remote gives you a "done" reading.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470

Shopvac
    ahhh- thanks!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Seems everyone likes the placesetter and then the thermopen or would it be better to go with a remote thermometer?  Thanks for everyone's responses!!!

Rick
    Thermo pen is for high heat direct cooks, think steak and chops, etc.  Remote is for low and slow.  You will need them both.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    9.99 pizza stone pair from cost plus are good. Sure one crackedbut it still can deflect the heat. 3 terracotta feet and the pizza setup is complete for under $15.
    Seattle, WA
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Would the DigiQ take the place of a remote thermometer?

I was thinking of getting a Thermapen and DigiQ
  • ejm63
    edited June 2012

The DigiQ is complete with a thermometer but the one from BGE is not remote, it is wired to the control.  However, the BBQ Guru manufactures a new unit which is remote wifi. Comes with three food probs and one pitt prob.  You can leave the house and lets say; take in a movie. While there check the temp of your fire and food from your cell phone. Opps, need to adjust the fire, well just do it from your phone while sitting in the movie.

I have the DigiQ and love it.. Did not trust it at first but it has proved me wrong thankfully so. I am thinking about purchasing the CyberQ Wifi, from the Guru. The cost for the control is 299.00. Since we have the blower etc (the one from our DigiQ) there is no need to purchase the entire kit which would run close to 600.00.. The unit is great if you cook a lot of items at once wherein you need the additional food probs. Most folks will be well served with the DigiQ purchase from BGE, or The BBQ Guru.. If from BGE it will be green and have the BGE name/logo, that is the only difference in the DigiQ Dx2 from BGE vs purchasing form the manufacture; The BBQ Guru

Hope this helps

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
       What you need                               What I use
    1. Way to do indirect.                   Platesetter but wish I had heard of the adjustable rig first.
    2. Instant read thermometer.         THERMAPEN! (green is still the fastest)
    3. Digital thermometer                  Maverick ET-732  (very useful even if you only monitor your grid temp) 
    4. Vacuum packer                        Food Saver (you will buy meats you don't need and end up with leftovers)
    5. Pizza stone and Wok               So much fun!   
    6. Camera                                   We like pics.

Lots of great info here (entire thread) for you to get started, good luck!   
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Great post Brownie
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Its never mentioned, but I wish I'd bought a "moated" (juice groove cut around the perimeter) cutting board up front.  Chickens, briskets, and especially butts release so much juice upon post-cook disassembly that your countertop will be a mess without a moated cutting board.
    Plus, you can get one for ~$10.   
    :-bd

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    1.) Thermopen (the key to making all your meats taste good).
    2.) Indirect cooking method (plate setter works for me).
    3.) electric starter (easiest, cheapest $8., cleanest way to start your lump)
    4.) wok and spider (love wok food!)
    5.) pizza stones (I use it occasionally but suck at making pizzas)

Thats all I've found the need for in the first 2 years I've owned my egg.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Its never mentioned, but I wish I'd bought a "moated" (juice groove cut around the perimeter) cutting board up front.  Chickens, briskets, and especially butts release so much juice upon post-cook disassembly that your countertop will be a mess without a moated cutting board.
    Plus, you can get one for ~$10.   
    :-bd
    Nice observation. Don't forget an old towel for underneath the board because it (the moat) will probably overflow with juices any way on larger cuts of meat.