Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Table height ?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I am planning on building an island out of Allan Block Courtyard blocks for my new XL and am wondering about what height the bottom of my egg should be at.  The blocks are 6" tall.  I was thinking that I could go with 3 courses of block and then put a 2" thick piece of concrete on top of the blocks, then perhaps some fire bricks or tile on top of the concrete.  Does this sound like a reasonable height for the cooker?  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Here are my dimensions to get an idea:
    1.) 6 rows of bricks at 3.5" each so my bricks are at 21"
    2.) Then I have a 2" thick slab of concrete that the egg and fire bricks sit on (now were up 23")
    3.) The firebricks are 1 1/4" so that's 24 1/4".
    4.) The tabletop is 13 inches above the top of the fire bricks so the tabletop sits 37 1/4 " above the ground.
    5.) My gasket sits 3.5 inches above the tabletop.

Important to note that I have a notch cut out in the back of my tabletop so when I open the lid, the hinges will drop through.  (The lid wouldn't open fully if I didn't have a notch cut out in the back. I did it this way because I wanted the tabletop to sit up higher on the egg.  I think it looks better that way.).image
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options

Is this mortared together, or are the bricks loose?  Also, what material are you using for the countertop?

Chrispy

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    Also, what is the depth of the countertop???

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    Options

Is this mortared together, or are the bricks loose?  Also, what material are you using for the countertop?

Chrispy

All materials for this project were purchased at the local home improvement store (Menards).  I used a landscape glue to secure the bricks.  The countertop is concrete.  It's 44" deep by 86" wide (2 pieces).

If your interested in more details, see this thread:

Packerland, Wisconsin