Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

eggin in the rain sucks!

Kristinnn
Kristinnn Posts: 133
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
So i made a special trip to whole foods to get some chicken wings for tonight. i start the egg up..its almost to temp.. and here comes the rain.. but i was like hey those guys on the forum say they egg in the rain all the time..no biggie..hard soft hard soft the rain comes down but the doppler says itll be gone in no time.. NOT!..  

so at first i left it alone and the temp kept dropping.. i was also worried about my cast iron rusting.. then i push it under the pergola to help a little with the rain.. got it up to temp.. put the chicken in and after a while its just billowing smoke which im assuming is from the rain + chicken fat who knows.  i was afraid it would ruin my chicken so i took it off.

is this how you guys cook in the rain with tons of smoke pouring out of it???  any tips? 

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I suspect that your problems were due to your response to the rain, not the rain itself.  I cook in the rain a lot, and I don't like it, but my problems are from the Egg to the kitchen when the darned rain hits my cooks.  Doesn't seem to effect the cook at all once the dome is closed.

Relax.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Kristinnn
    i tried to have it closed but the temp kept going down so when the rain subsided a bit i would open it back up to up the temp.  If i closed it when the rain got heavy the smoke would come out the sides of the daisy wheel and the bottom screen.  dont know if i was doing something wrong or what?  like i said as well it was just about to temp but not stable yet when it started raining so maybe that didnt help
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Once you get the cook in, ignore (but curse) the rain.  Control the temp with the two vents like you normally would do.  I think you just had your Egg wildly out of control chasing the temp.  As with anything, experience makes things easier.

There is no trick to the rain.  It is just a pain in the neck to do.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Bama J
    Bama J Posts: 19
    Market Umbrella at Academy Sports $34
  • Bama J
    Bama J Posts: 19
    Market Umbrella at Academy Sports $34
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Didn't your pavers photo have a pergola. In other words cross beams. Maybe a little sunbrella or other material even a piece of plastic or aluminum siding could give you a little out of the rain section.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Never had a problem in the rain here.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    When the crappy rain comes I will bring the mini into the living room and prop em in the fireplace. Saw some pics of that and laughed, but will be sure to try it.
    Seattle, WA
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I just added a cover to keep me and one egg dry.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551

I just added a cover to keep me and one egg dry.

Nice!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    I was doing a shoulder and the rain came. I was out. Getting more uhm groceries(beer) and when I returned my fire was almost out. Got I going and only lost an hour. Next day. The rain came again. Spatchcock this time. I just propped a lawn chair over the top as a shield. No fancy umbrella here. Perhaps I should invest. The story is more funny this way tho.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Also, if you are doing your wings direct, you will have a ton of smoke from the fat dripping on the coals.
    Pentwater, MI
  • miscjames
    miscjames Posts: 78
    I took a metal paint can and dented in the bottom with a hammer. Then I drilled some largish holes in the dents. This fits right over my DW and I just let it ride out the rain. One thing I have noticed is you might need to open you bottom vent more as the cool damp air seems to try and kill the fire.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited June 2012

This is what I do. I also have  large umbrella that keeps me dry.

Can't get photobucket working, sorry.

• Kristinnn
    I was probably just overreacting since i was soaking wet and annoyed.  I do have some coolaroo fabric under the pergola but it didnt do a whole lot since the rain just kept coming.... ive contemplated some kind of umbrella or something but the whole point of my paver extension was to be safe and not have something over it that could catch fire.  I guess I was afraid the fabric would get too hot and catch fire too..i dont know how flammable it is.  Same deal with an umbrella..then of course my new expensive toy in the rain, my crazy woman brain imagining rust all over it... and im a freak out so i have to watch it 24/7 since id never done it in the rain.  

i may put a piece of metal under the pergola for these instances but then id still worry about causing a fire so maybe ill just avoid the rain :)

that can trick is a good idea.. that reminds me though then my wood handle is in the elements and i worried about it swelling from the rain and then id need a new handle.  see how crazy i am? :)

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I cook on my LBGE every day so when it rains, here is what I use. Got it off this forum.  A square of HDAF, tuck opposite corners under daisey, works like a charm even in heavy rain.
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    As dry as we are right now I would love to be egging in the rain !
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    As dry as we are right now I would love to be egging in the rain !

Me too....