Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you like best about your small,BGE ?

Serial Griller
Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Thinking of getting a small to compliment my lge? it's just the two of us.

Your thoughts

Comments

• moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    I would also be interested in the comments. I also have a large. Was thinking mini to travel with. However; lately the small has crept into my thoughts. I am thinking the small would e more versatile and also portable.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    My small allows me to get to temp quickly 350-450F, for steaks, poultry direct or indirect, works great with my wok, 12" or 14" like to use my Himalayan salt block 8"x8 "X2" for various cooks.  Can do all on the large, or medium but many times am cooking for 2-4 and the small solves the need..
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785

Your thoughts

I'm in the same boat. The mini is really neat but I think a small makes more sense. Interested in the responses also.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I just got a small to go with my large and love it so far. I did a 10 pound butt on it last weekend. I used less than half of the coal I would use in my large. I have done a spatchcock chicken with no problem too. Best of all, I can easily pick it up and move it around. I would highly recommend it to compliment the large and almost wish I would have gotten the small first to learn on.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Hi54 thanks for the info. I'm sure the other thinkers will feel the same. Sounds like the way to go. I cook for four and up to six regular. Up to fifteen once or twice a month. So I think te small is the one.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Just got my mini and if you are cooking for 4 you not be using It much. It works for the wife, me , 3yr old and baby daughter and should be fine for couple years. I really thought of it as a toy/ fun item to use. I think the price difference was less than $100 also between the 2.
    Seattle, WA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I think the Small is a great complement to a large (or XL in my case). I like how quickly it gets up to temp and find it to be a very efficient size for cooking a whole chicken or a pork butt.

Here's a post from a few months ago that you may find helpful: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137935/small-or-mini/p1
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I'm currently on the hunt for a small for camping....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

What do you like best about your small,BGE ?
    The fact that I sold it and bought my second Mini.

Only two of us and never used my Small. I used my Mini most and the rest my Large, so got another Mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I highly recommend a small to compliment your large. I use both grills quite a bit and the small travels well too.

I often sear on the small an roast on the large. I've fed 10 people for an entire weekend using the small so it's capable.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I would say the fact that it gets up to temp fast but its been said already. The other thing I like, is that I can bend down and pick it up and walk across the yard with it to load into my truck. Very little lump usage but still enough space to cook for four people. My favorite size, and i've owned them all.

Four huge bone in breast. Almost 7 pounds worth.
  • For those of you who have the Large and Small Egg...any issues with the sliding vent door at the bottom of the small being so tiny?  It looks to be the same size as the Mini and I just thought I would ask if anyone has had trouble maintaining temps or getting their small up to temp quickly given the airflow is dependent on the small door.

I am very close to buying a small tomorrow to supplement my large and want to make sure I am doing the right thing!  Thanks
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The small does have air flow issues especially with the plate setter in. These people saying it gets to temp quick all must have the high que grate because I have owned all sizes except the XL and the small gets to temp the slowest by far. The high que grate is a must for the small. I love my mini but would have to say the small is much more versatile and if I could only have one it would be the small.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Had a high que in mine before I sold it. Helps a lot for fast
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Serial Griller
    Thanks for the comments.Very helpful!
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

I love my large but i also look forward to buying a small for those nights we cook for 2.  Anyone know what the going price is for a small???

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I have a high que in my Small and it helps but still not as fast or responsive as a Mini but faster than my XL.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Hi54putty
    I ordered high Que after the first cook on my small. More issues with the tiny charcoal grate than small door.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    The small does have air flow issues especially with the plate setter in. These people saying it gets to temp quick all must have the high que grate because I have owned all sizes except the XL and the small gets to temp the slowest by far. The high que grate is a must for the small. I love my mini but would have to say the small is much more versatile and if I could only have one it would be the small.

I totally agree. Yes, the small gets to temp quick, unless the temp you are after is higher than 350-400, then plan on some waiting. Yes, it can get to 600+, but no where near as fast as my lg, med, or mini (med is fastest, that this is a jet engine).
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i find that the small can get to rocket temps very quickly. but here's the catch.  you have you use it all the time.
    i used it all the time when i got it, and it had zero issues getting to temp.  after cooking on the large for a while, id go to use the small and found it was taking forever.  it was wet.  we all know the egg can get sodden under a lot of rain, but even without rain, it can get very damp. and that damp takes a long time to drive out.

in fact, i find that whichever egg i use, it is the 'fast' one.  and when i go back to the other, it's slow to temp.

if you don't use the small frequently, you might find it sluggish.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687

Your thoughts

I like my small because it cooks bigger than it looks. It is really a serious mo-sheen. It is easy to throw in the back of the truck and take anywhere. The small bottom vent does result in longer times to get your fire going, but as Stike says, with dry lump and a clean firebox it's not too bad. Plus the ceramics heat up faster on the small. I'm surprised we don't sell even more of them at the store. I'd be upset if I didn't have mine. 
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Another thing to consider is method of lighting. Alot of people who report "rocket temps", "rocket fast" , may be using a mapp torch or weed burner to light. If your using starter cubes, don't expect fast temps on any egg, wet or dry. I think a lot of times, that's why we have contradicting reports on light time. I light my small with a mapp every time I use it, and the second I shut my dome , the temp will go to 400. That's lighting with a mapp in three places, and holding it on each place for 20 seconds or so. My dad has a large egg, and all I ever hear my mom say is," he takes forever to cook anything". So for fathers day,I got him a mapp torch. To me, the smaller the egg, the faster it should get to temp. Charcoal closer to therm? Smaller area to heat up? I know air in air out is in control. Just some thoughts. Other will chime in.
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    I have a large and a small and I'm thinking about selling the small and getting a medium. I use the small for quick grilling - hot dogs, burgers, etc.

I'd be willing to bet that a medium would temp up quicker than a small due to better airflow. Also, another thing I don't like about the small is that there can be cold spots on the grill if there are any big chunks of charcoal that aren't completely lit. 

It's not bad. It's just not as good as I had hoped.

• Hi54putty
    Good point. I use a heat gun and that probably helps it come to temp quickly.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    I built a carrier for my small BGE. Perfect for camping trips. A little unwieldy though...about 80 pounds or so. Two people can carry it though without too much difficulty. 
  • Serial Griller

I have a large and a small and I'm thinking about selling the small and getting a medium. I use the small for quick grilling - hot dogs, burgers, etc.

I'd be willing to bet that a medium would temp up quicker than a small due to better airflow. Also, another thing I don't like about the small is that there can be cold spots on the grill if there are any big chunks of charcoal that aren't completely lit. 

It's not bad. It's just not as good as I had hoped.

Where are you located and do you want to sell your small?

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    The SBGE is the smallest egg that can be used for a 12 hour low and slow indirect cook. It also can sear and do small pizzas as good as any BGE.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

I was thinking of purchasing a small for steaks / burgers/ dogs etc.  How well does it perform for these cooks??  Especially searing steaks....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited June 2012

I was thinking of purchasing a small for steaks / burgers/ dogs etc.  How well does it perform for these cooks??  Especially searing steaks....

I think it does great.  I fill the lump up to 1-2 inches below the grid, and let the coals get white hot, and it is a steak searing machine.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    edited June 2012
    I have read every Small Vs Mini thread on here and am still stuck.  I was quoted $539 for a small and $350 for a mini by my dealer.  Of course the plate setter and nest for the Small were not included in price.  Love the idea of the mini for taking camping, on fishing trips etc.  I know the small would be a bit more useful though. Argggh, decisions decisions.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93