Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket

centex99
centex99 Posts: 231
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
So, I'm considering buying a roll of 157' of material... I need to replace the gasket on my XL... if I buy it, would anyone want to buy some custom lengths?  May be most useful for people with multiple eggs or XL eggs...

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    If it is the Rutland gasket, count me in.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• centex99
    Yeah, gasket is the 5/8" tape rutland brand... I could also buy the copper permtex tubes to include if desired...
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    I've just put the Rutland/Permatex Copper on my egg and love it (though I haven't actually cooked on the new gasket yet!).
  • bigguy136
    I have the Permatex on the shelf. I will want 2 for the large. I will measure tonight but I thought the large was about Ø21" so I will need 132-135"

Big Lake, Minnesota

• centex99
    Gasket ordered, also bought some envelopes today at walmart... I'll let you know when I get it.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    My gasket is in serious need of replacement... just so I have it right, the Rutland Permatex solution only needs to go on the bottom half?
    @hapster just put it on the bottom.  I'm pretty much clueless about doing anything, but I put this on a month or so ago and it has performed just like it was supposed to.  Used the Permetex copper adhesive.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Put my Rutland on monday. I was waiting like a 5 year old for Christmas for my other one to fry off. It finally did and I followed all of Naked Whiz's directions and it came out perfect.

Couldnt be happier.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• centex99
    I think 50c per foot and $3 for shipping/envelope cost (first class, or $5.15 for priority) should cover it.  I can order Permatex from amazon and include for an additional $6... .
  • centex99
    Will get gasket on Thursday... let me know if you want any and I'll put together a package for you.
  • How do I pay for it?  If a check is okay, where do I send it?
  • bigguy136
    Do you have these yet? Send a check? PayPal?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• turok
    turok Posts: 28
    When you are talking about using the permatex copper with the rutland gasket, the the permatex copper the gasket maker stuff or is it a gasket sealer? I did a search on the net and saw both. I saw that naked whiz had made a gasket out of the permatex copper stuff. Is that the same stuff mentioned in this thread? And you use it under the rutland? Am I understanding that correctly?
  • centex99

I'd prefer paypal, but I guess I could take checks.

I'll have the gasket material on Thursday.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong)... you use the gasket maker stuff (ultra copper rtv) to seal/glue the gasket material to the egg.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81878-Sensor-Ultra-Copper/dp/B0002UEOPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339615884&sr=8-1&keywords=permatex+copper

• centex99

Send me a PM for payment information.

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    When you are talking about using the permatex copper with the rutland gasket, the the permatex copper the gasket maker stuff or is it a gasket sealer? I did a search on the net and saw both. I saw that naked whiz had made a gasket out of the permatex copper stuff. Is that the same stuff mentioned in this thread? And you use it under the rutland? Am I understanding that correctly?
    Yes, same stuff. Apparently it can be used to make a gasket OR use it to adhere the Rutland.

I recently replaced my gasket with a Rutland and used a competitive product very similar to Permatex Copper and it has been working great.
  • centex99
    Once I get the gasket material tomorrow, I will send follow up messages to everyone after weighing gaskets + envelopes to calculate actual postage...
  • bigguy136
    Thanks for all your hard work and up front expense.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    I have a large egg, I don't know how much gasket I need but definitely want to buy from you. how do I get in touch with you?
  • Scott P
    Scott P Posts: 22
    What is the part number for the Rutland Gasket for a XL egg or do you have a link to it?
  • centex99

Scott, as far as I know, there is no kit that has enough gasket for an XL.  Hence, I bought the 157' spool of the stuff...

divr71, I believe 7' is enough for a large, though you could order 8 to be safe.  Just send me a message on this board.

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    I think i need to get it on this
  • bigguy136
    I measured my large at Ø21" so I have a 66" circumference (65.97344572538565800771551104887" to be more precise). I think I will round up to 6' and trim to fit. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Does the Rutland shrink? Do you just put it on the lower half and leave the top bare?
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    Does the Rutland shrink? Do you just put it on the lower half and leave the top bare?
    Put it only on the top OR bottom, not both.  Rutland is twice as thick as the original felt gasket.
    Approximate length for large is 84 inches, XL you need about 94 inches.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Sgt93
    @ChokeOnSmoke, thanks for the info

@centex99 I'm interested in some for my XL. Just let me know prices when you can. Subscribed. 
  • bigguy136
    Put it only on the top OR bottom, not both.  Rutland is twice as thick as the original felt gasket.

??? If a large BGE measures 21" across, would that not be 66"  in circumference (21 x 3.14159)? Why the extra? 84" would be enough for a Ø26" and 94" would be enough for Ø30"

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Sgt93
    And I assume the Rutland does not shrink?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012

??? If a large BGE measures 21" across, would that not be 66"  in circumference (21 x 3.14159)? Why the extra? 84" would be enough for a Ø26" and 94" would be enough for Ø30"
    When you lay the gasket down on the Permatex Ultra Copper, you kind of "bunch it" back onto itself.  The 5/8" gasket will then fill the 1" rim on the base better this way.
    I didn't do the math, I'm going off of other people's posts and experience for the large length and what I ended up using on mine (94") when I did my XL.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• bigguy136
    That would be the missing info. Thanks!!

Big Lake, Minnesota

• centex99
    Ok, making cuts, filling envelopes to send out tomorrow... send me a request if you want it to go out tomorrow...