Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Liquid dripping from Vent?

Options
Albiebert
Albiebert Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I recently purchased a used egg.  It's in great shape.  When I was using for the first time, I noticed a orange/brown drip coming from the vent.  The cast iron vent is rusted.  My assumption is the liquid is caused by the extreme heating interacting with the rust causing moisture to drip down the egg.  Sound correct?  Should I look into purchasing a new vent or trying to bring this one back to life by sanding it down?

Comments

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Since the vent is cast iron I would just clean it and wipe with oil,      Season it over the next couple of cooks as long as it is not dripping on the food.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Could it be smoke residue?   Sometimes it "condenses" looks like brown juice.   ( not sure if condense is the right word???).

If it is smoke reside, wonderful thing is the Egg is "self cleaning" with a high temp.

Cookin in Texas
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    I'm assuming your talking about the daisy wheel, and if so, this happens with mine even though it has no rust and is relatively new.  I found the best way to avoid it is to put the daisy wheel in your egg as soon as its done cooking during the cooldown and leave it there till the next cook.
    Pentwater, MI
  • Albiebert
    Albiebert Posts: 3
    Options

Good ideas.  I give it a nice cleaning tonight with some steel wool, season it and then when I'm done, I'll stick it in the fire.  Appreciate the help.

• Little Steven
    Options
    It happens when humidity gets high.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    When you were using it for the first time, did you have a drip pan with liquid in it?
    The steam can condense on wheel and drip down.

FWIW, I put mine on the grate while the temp was still up from a pizza cook, and it wreaked the seasoning. Now I put it in the grill when temps are around 350 or less, and store it in there.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • mollysue
    mollysue Posts: 17
    Options
    my BGE had lots of brown liquid dripping from the top the i did a high burn to get rid of the mold. There was no lid of any kind on top. any ideas what happened?