Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr. Chicken's Real Ranch Beans

Options
Zip
Zip Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok Dr Chicken, these beans rock. I followed the recipe to a tee with the exception of I used some old pork neck bones that I cured and smoked and left out the liquid smoke. I cooked them in my new ultimate dutch oven on the egg for about 6 hours at about 200° or so dome temp. Very good smokey flavor and somewhat thin, but big on flavor. [p]Thanks for the recipe![p]Ashley

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Zip!!!!!
    Where didja find that recipe?? Sounds great.
    Thanks.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Zip
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]It is in the new recipes section, under sides. I turned out the pilot lite on the stove and water heater. I just don't want to....well, you know what I mean. Pass the "Beano" please...[p][p]
    [ul][li]Dr. Chicken's Real Ranch Beans [/ul]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Zip,
    Thanks fer the vote of confidence! I really like them. I got tired of having to go to a "steak house" to have beans like that, and I remembered a place in California that did beans simular to them when I was a kid! It took a while to get the recipe down pat, but I think its a winner! I agree with the addition of the "smoked" neck bones in place of the liquid smoke. I try to use it only as a last resort. I'm surprised they were watery though. How long of a time did you cook them over all?[p]I'm glad the recipe worked for you, and they turned out good. Next, you'll have to try the 3 1/2 Alarm Deer Camp Chili. It is fantastic too![p]Cheers, Dr. Chicken

• Zip
    Options
    IA907X-IA907X.jpg
    <p />Dr. Chicken,[p]They cooked on the fish cooker for about an hour in the ultimate dutch oven with the lid on. Once I got the temp on track with the egg, I xfrd them over to the egg for about another 4.5 to 5 hours with the lid on with a little hickory for smoke along the way. They were a little thin when served, but once chilled they are thickening up even more.[p]Check out this dutch oven. It works very well.[p]Ash

[ul][li]Ultimate Dutch Oven[/ul]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Zip,
    That is one "fine" dutch oven! Thanks fer sending the link so I can check it out. I'm using the old fashion kind still. Its old, its old fashion, but it still works! [p]What was the temp on the dome when you cooked the beans? I'm gona do another big pot of them fer the 4th! I'll probably have all 3 Eggs going. I got some small T-bones last week cut special just for friends! 1 3/4" to 2" thick! Them baby's just cry to be Egged! I ain't figured out yet what's gona go wid da beans and steak, but I'll come up wif somethin'![p]Again, thanks fer the vote of confidence on the recipe! Maybe it'll get moved to the regular recipe file! I don't care, just so long as everyone enjoys them![p]Have a good one! Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Dr. Chicken,
    Got me a copy of yo recipe printed out and in the "to do" pile. Thanks![p]Hows about some Coan on the cob and some smoked ersters with them steak and beans??? Maybe do some Cat style grilled asparagus.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Zip
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]I shot for 200° dome and kept it there most of the cook. I sent the webmaster a email of the list of recipes I tried last night. Hopefully others will do the same, there are a lot of "new" recipes that have been there for quite sometime. [p]Ash [p]