Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Brisket

Options
Phoenix824
Phoenix824 Posts: 243
edited June 2012 in Beef
I just pulled my first brisket of the egg.    I did a 5 lbs flat.     It is looking like a great cooking lesson rather than a great cook at this point.     I will take it out later and get pics when I cut it but I am guessing this will not be the best brisket I have ever had.
Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE

Comments

• bdub60
    bdub60 Posts: 31
    Options

My first brisket on the BGE turned out great.  The second one didn't turn out as well and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what went wrong. 

No matter what you can chop that sucker up, add a little sauce as needed and have some amazing chopped beef.  Also I chop up all leftover brisket and freeze it and use it later to make the most amazing chili I've ever had.  I will never cook chili any other way again.

Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • Phoenix824
    Options
    Great suggestion on the chili.     If this does not turn out the way I want it I can see chili in my future.   
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

Briskets are fun/challenging-all I can get are flats so I have had my share of strikeouts.  Fortunately every once in a while I will hit a home-run and that keeps you coming back.  Below are a few links that have a tremendous wealth of info-check them out when you can. Briskets are supposed to look like meteorites when finished so yours may turn out just fine.  Don't slice til ready to eat as it dries out very quickly and slice against the grain.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Phoenix824
    Options
    Mine does not look like a meteorite.    I foiled it at 160 with some beef broth which one of these four sites suggested.  I had seen you post those links in a previous dicussion so I read them all again last night before I started my adventure.     I think next time I will not foil them and just cook on the egg and see what happens unless of course this turns out better than I am expecting right now.   I probobly should have tried a packer but the flat was the right price and I figured it I screwed it up I was not out a ton of money.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I think you will be surprised but I have not foiled at the 160 mark so not sure how that will play.  As long as it's tender when ready to slice you may have to find something else to put in the chili.  Look at it this way-if you can get a flat right then the packer will be a piece of cake. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Phoenix824
    Options
    Lousub, Do you personally foil at all during the cook or just when you put it in the cooler?
  • lousubcap
    Options

I only foil if I'm putting in a cooler to hold but if one of those sites mentioned it (I need to do a refresher read...) then it satisfies someone with more expertise than I could ever hope to have.  Hopefully this learning experience will end on a positive note.

• Phoenix824
    Options

Ok,  So here it is.    I will grade myself   Taste  - B,  Tenderness  - B,   Smoke Ring - D.    My rub had too much pepper so I only give my bark a C.    It was pretty moist but I used some beef broth that I put in the foil as an Au Jus.    Had it both straight up and with the Au Jus and was fairly pleased both ways.   

I have a questions about leftovers.    I left it intact added some Au Jus to the bottom of my container and put it in the fridge.    I assume that it will dryout and I should chop and mix with BBQ sause for sandwiches tomorrow.   

• bdub60
    bdub60 Posts: 31
    Options

Looks fine, you did alright.  You know you're onto something when you can "mess it up" and it still tastes bette than something you'd buy in a restaurant.

Personally, I usually always eat leftover brisket as sandwiches so I would just go ahead and chop it, pour any juice in the container with it and if you need to add a little sauce when you reheat it so be it.  Love me some leftover BBQ sammiches!

Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • lousubcap
    Options

Glad it was a success-smoke ring is visual only.  I do about the same as you with leftovers although I slice and warm with Au Jus or BBQ sauce and don't chop.  If inclined make a few notes about the cook so you can build upon it for the next one.  Brisket can be habit-forming. Nice job!

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

I have a questions about leftovers.    I left it intact added some Au Jus to the bottom of my container and put it in the fridge.    I assume that it will dryout and I should chop and mix with BBQ sause for sandwiches tomorrow.   

We usually reheat in a microwave with some liquid in the container. This seems to steam it a little and it usually tastes pretty good.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA