Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ DigiQ

ereed
ereed Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I had my green egg for about 2 months now and I love it.  I am thinking about purchasing the BBQ Guru DigiQ.  I looking for input before I buy.

Comments

• divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    Buy it you won't regret it. I've had mine 6 months and think it is greatest thing since the Big Green Egg!
  • Keno
    Keno Posts: 2
    I just got mine 2day going to do a butt on saturday
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I've had my BGE for several years and the DigiQ for about a month.  I have really enjoyed setting it and going to the office for example and KNOWING that the temp was going to stay right at my target.  
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    It's not needed, but sure is enjoyable to have around.  Although the egg holds temp quite well, the extra assurance of not needing to check up on it at 2 a.m. is quite liberating.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

Maverick's, woo's, digi q's, temp controllers etc. etc...  hey i'm in canada and it's not so easy to get all these things as the egg dealer has no idea what 1/2 this stuff is..  I went there the other day and asked if he could get me a woo and he looked in his books and said no, i have nothing listed like that " that's probably made in China" he said...( i kinda chuckled)..  I am thinking the temp controller would be good idea for long slow cooks

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359

Funny to hear mention of the Woo - it's my most used addition. I have a Guru as well as I'm a bit of a gdaget nerd. Put simply the Guru works and does what it's supposed to very well, it's also pretty robust and not too complicated. If it's raining I usually just put a ziploc bag around the manin unit and prop it up on a stone so the rain is less likely to get into the sockets - it also means I can see the display from the window. No it's not necessary but as someone else said the beauty of setting the temp for a long cook and then going out is a nice feature, to be honest all those wires mean it doesn't feel the same but sometimes that's what I want. Other times I just let the egg take care of itself, it's very stable temperature wise if you give it a little time.

My top purchase to add to the Guru was a DC extension lead so I can plug the AC into the house and run a long DC lead out through the catflap to the egg. At my last house I was planning to bury a DC cable out to the egg or mount a socket on the outside of my garage. The 12VDC connector is the same as the Weber rotisserie.

I did think of a Stoker as it runs on 1-wire, keeping the whole controller in the house and running a wire out to the egg for the sensors but I'd still need DC for the fan.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,359
    I live in Canada and got a lot of my stuff off the internet. I'm holding off on stuff from the CGS because it is real expensive to ship. I purchased an auber controller for my egg and it works perfectly! Holds the temp within one degree for the entire cook!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario