Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chips or chunks for butt cook

Options
Bmeier
Bmeier Posts: 16
edited June 2012 in Pork
I am getting ready o pu a butt on soon and all I have are apple chips. Will this work or should I find some chunks?

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I prefer chunks as they last longer but lots of folks do fine with chips. Apple is pretty mild but does go well with pork. If you spread those chips throughout your lump you should be fine.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I prefer chunks, but chips will work.  mix them in well throughout the charcoal - key is - the distribution so you are spreading the burn out.

Cookin in Texas
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    I agree with the above posts. if you don't spread the chips and they are all sitting on top of the coals they will not only burn early, but seem to make temperature control harder as the wood flames up.  If you mix them not only around the top, but into the lump, they will provide a more even smoke during the cook. It's easier for me to put the chips in with the lump, instead of adding chips to a firebox full of lump.  I do the same thing with chunks.