Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cen-Tex ! Sous Vide Chicken Rocks !!!!

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
You asked me to get back with you.  I cooked the chicken breast at 142˚ in the Sous Vide for 4 hours.
On the sear, I swabbed with a chipotle-honey sauce.  I tested the I.T. after the sear and it was still at 142˚.
I think that was the tenderest, juiciest chicken breast I've ever eaten (you said it would be).

The plating sucks, but this is a documentary.  
:)

P.S. The salt on the table is left over from me putting salt on my watermelon today.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I told you. I had it for lunch on a salad today. Once you go this way for chicken, you'll never go back.  We cook 6-8 breast every week with little or no seasoning and leave them in the vac bags. We take them out as needed, season them up hit them on the egg or skillet and BAM! (apologies to Emeril). One of my kids asked a waiter the other day if they sous vide their chicken. The guy just looked at this 13 year old kid like he had 2 heads. I told him they most likely did not sous vide their chicken so he ordered something else. I tried not to snicker but I couldn't help it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    very nice, what do you use for sous vide?  machine that is
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Great looking meal.  What do you Sous Vide the food in?
    I have been known to toss some beef or poultry into a 102F spa-well wrapped of course- and leave for 45-60 minutes. Then onto the BGE.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Gary and I use sous vide supreme. I have the Demi (smaller) and VI has the larger model.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I did a skirt last night that was in for 24 hours at 134 and then seared on the mini. Made some really good fajitas. Gotta try chicken next.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That meal looks damn good to me!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I did a skirt last night that was in for 24 hours at 134 and then seared on the mini. Made some really good fajitas. Gotta try chicken next.

Oh. That sounds great.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Ok so here is my sous vide rookie question? If the internal temp was 142, is that still safe? If so, how?

How much did your small supreme cost you cen-tex?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ok so here is my sous vide rookie question? If the internal temp was 142, is that still safe? If so, how?

It totally safe Caz. It's safe because of the extended amount of time its in the SV. It essentially pasteurizes the food gently over time so you don't have to take many foods as high. You can also hold foods at certain temps (say med rare) for days with no worry of overcooking. It's a cool toy
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Nice cook!  
    VI,  you and Cen-Tex are really show some wonderful cooks with the SV.  I am saving my pennies for another pistola, otherwise you might convince me to plunk down mi dinero on the SV :-)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

And Caz, mine was around $400 and came with a food saver. I think VI's is around $450-$500

It totally safe Caz. It's safe because of the extended amount of time its in the SV. It essentially pasteurizes the food gently over time so you don't have to take many foods as high. You can also hold foods at certain temps (say med rare) for days with no worry of overcooking. It's a cool toy

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Caz,

Look at the chart.  Chicken is pasteurized at 165 degrees in 1 second.  It's pasteurized at 140 in 60 minutes.  So, if kept at 140 for an expended period of time, it is pasteurized.

My SV cost $399.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice cook!  
    VI,  you and Cen-Tex are really show some wonderful cooks with the SV.  I am saving my pennies for another pistola, otherwise you might convince me to plunk down mi dinero on the SV :-)

With your mad skills you would have a lot of fun with it.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I told you. I had it for lunch on a salad today. Once you go this way for chicken, you'll never go back.  We cook 6-8 breast every week with little or no seasoning and leave them in the vac bags. We take them out as needed, season them up hit them on the egg or skillet and BAM! (apologies to Emeril). One of my kids asked a waiter the other day if they sous vide their chicken. The guy just looked at this 13 year old kid like he had 2 heads. I told him they most likely did not sous vide their chicken so he ordered something else. I tried not to snicker but I couldn't help it.

Thats funny, My wife tells me all the time we should stop going out to eat because I can cook it better than most places around. And its alot cheaper eating at home..

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Thats funny, My wife tells me all the time we should stop going out to eat because I can cook it better than most places around. And its alot cheaper eating at home..

I love to cook. It's the clean up I pay other people for at restaurants.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

My wife mad the rule if I cook she cleans. I cant argue that.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

My wife mad the rule if I cook she cleans. I cant argue that.

We have that same deal. It works for me.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    I am obsessing on this stuff may get a minipack chamber vacuum debating that vs ary vacuum chambers. Mini pack seals on vacuum percent. Read this on texture effects of vacuum pressures on meats.
    http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/06/17/boring-but-useful-technical-post-vacuum-machines-affect-the-texture-of-your-meat/
    Still an inconclusive debate on egullet using organoleptic blind tasting.
    Plus the higher chamber vacuum will help with infusions.
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Gary and I use sous vide supreme. I have the Demi (smaller) and VI has the larger model.
    Cen Tex how do you like the Demi for cooking? Is it big enough and fit your needs ok. Not sure if I would want the Demi or Supreme? Thanks!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I am obsessing on this stuff may get a minipack chamber vacuum debating that vs ary vacuum chambers. Mini pack seals on vacuum percent. Read this on texture effects of vacuum pressures on meats.
    http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/06/17/boring-but-useful-technical-post-vacuum-machines-affect-the-texture-of-your-meat/
    I didn't read the article, but from my SV book, I do know that putting meat under vacuum can change the texture.  Sous Vide literally means "under vacuum" in French, but that is a misnomer.  It should be named something like Water Bath.  The food does not have to be in a vacuum.  For chicken, I put it in my Food Saver and start drawing the air out.  As soon as it appears the air is mostly gone, but before it starts compressing the meat, I hit the "seal" button, which stops the vacuuming process and starts sealing.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen Tex how do you like the Demi for cooking? Is it big enough and fit your needs ok. Not sure if I would want the Demi or Supreme? Thanks!
    Well, I like it and have not needed more yet. That being said, the prices came down almost $100 2 weeks after I got mine (as usual) so now the large is basically waht i paid for my Demi. I leave mine out and counter space was a concern and the Demi is in a perfect spot so I may have gone that way anyway. I'm always a big fan of the saying "you can't cook on space you don't have"  but in this case, I have not needed more room...............yet

I can do 5-6 large steaks,  6 chicken breasts, 12-16 short ribs at a time to give you an idea. It's plenty for a family of 4.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I didn't read the article, but from my SV book, I do know that putting meat under vacuum can change the texture.  Sous Vide literally means "under vacuum" in French, but that is a misnomer.  It should be named something like Water Bath.  The food does not have to be in a vacuum.  For chicken, I put it in my Food Saver and start drawing the air out.  As soon as it appears the air is mostly gone, but before it starts compressing the meat, I hit the "seal" button, which stops the vacuuming process and starts sealing.
    I read it. it's interesting but probably too technical for me to pay attn to cook by cook. Good information in there though for sure.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Have either of you tried to sous vide a tri-tip yet? Just wondering cuz I cooked one last night and was wondering hwo it would compare. I'm still not sure I'm all that wild about tri-tips anyway.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options

Okay, I talked myself out of getting one of these a little while back, but now I'm reconsidering. Couple of questions for those of you who have them. I already have a foodsaver.

Can you seal marinade in with the meat or veggies and sous vide that way?

Is it possible to take a frozen piece of raw meat directly from the freezer and sous vide it?

Thanks.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I threw frozen chicken breast in 5 minutes ago. Works awesome.

You can seal marinade in but you have to freeze it first unless you have a very expensive chamber type sealer.

If you want marinade in there, I've found that the best way is to freeze it in Ice cube trays then drop a cube in before sealing. You don't need much of any type of seasoning when you cook SV. it intensifies the flavors.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    @ Griffin.  Haven't done a try tip yet, but probably will in the future.

@scooter.  I marinated beef for 8 hours prior to SV and the effects of the marinade were prevalent in the finished product.  If you use a chamber sealer, the answer to your question is "yes" (but they are expensive).  I have not done this, but I read you can have liquid in your zip lock and submerge it in water until it almost reaches the top.  That will force the air inside the ziplock to leave.  Then close the tab.  There is a term for that method, but I don't know it .... starts with an "M".

Yes, you can go directly from the freezer to the SV.  In my book, there is a chart that gives the time requirements.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Have either of you tried to sous vide a tri-tip yet? Just wondering cuz I cooked one last night and was wondering hwo it would compare. I'm still not sure I'm all that wild about tri-tips anyway.
    I'm not a huge tri tip guy but I'm still open to the fact that i don't know what i don't know about it. I have done many steaks and it is unreal. I don't see any reason that Tri Tip would not be as good. It's actually great on ticker cuts like TT because it will be perfect temp from tip-tip instead of having that gray well done ring 1/16" all the way around to get the center perfect. I'll find a pic and post of a 2" ribeye I did and post it in a sec.

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options

Thanks Cen-Tex.

I use my foodsaver for marinade quite a bit. I get what your saying about a chamber type sealer, I kind of use VI's method of watching the bag, as the marinade works its way to the foodsaver by the vacuum, I hit the seal button to keep from drawing out all the marinade. Seems to work okay. Only a little mess to clean up. I'm definitely gonna give your idea a try.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Thanks Cen-Tex.

I use my foodsaver for marinade quite a bit. I get what your saying about a chamber type sealer, I kind of use VI's method of watching the bag, as the marinade works its way to the foodsaver by the vacuum, I hit the seal button to keep from drawing out all the marinade. Seems to work okay. Only a little mess to clean up. I'm definitely gonna give your idea a try.

Yep- that works but if you want a tight seal, you need to freeze. When you have too much air in the bag, it cooks unevenly so the bag really needs to be tight (not totally vac'd but tight around the meat. I've found if there is more than just a little liquid in there it's hard to get sealed right without making a mess.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hey Grif- another cool thing about SV before a sear with a piece of meat that is tapered on the ends (as is the case with Tri Tip) is that the entire cut will be cooked perfectly instead of the tapered
    Pieces being overlooked to get the thickest part right. Every bite will be uniform down to the last slice. Pretty cool.