Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Table topper

killborn
killborn Posts: 37
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
So, have had my egg for a few weeks now nicely set up in the BGE Large Table, which I have stained and sealed. I have noticed that I would prefer to have a table surface, which would be easier to clean and maintain if I have food/sauce/beer spilled on it. 

I have been thinking of either getting a piece of steel cut for the top, or perhaps a piece of stone/granite or something similar.

Anybody have experience of this, or tried this? Any reason this would not work?

Comments

• tdeater
    tdeater Posts: 38
    Granite is the way to go! A little pricy but worth the investment.
  • Granite would be the way to go but it's expensive.  I bought an old corian countertop off of someone on craigslist who was renovating their kitchen.  I believe I paid $30 for it.  Had enough for the countertop and a retractable side.  It's been great for prepping.  image
    Lucky to have a LG Egg My Blog: http://manvsgrill.blogspot.com/
  • killborn
    Just what I had in mind. Will get some prices today! Thanks for the pic
  • ZooKeeper
    ZooKeeper Posts: 1
    what do you use to cut the corian?
  • I used a fine tooth circular saw blade to rip it down to size. It cut through the corian like butter. For the hole I used a straight plunge bit on my router.
  • killborn
    I picked up a really nice piece of granite at a place who does kitchen counters. It is the right depth, but a bit too long on the width. It only covers the section to the left of the egg on table. Don't mind it too long but the cover does not fit properly. Going to cut it with a grinder and turbo diamond blade and should be G2G. Not bad for $50.
  • fish8503
    fish8503 Posts: 30
    I priced scrap granite and the cheapest I found was $350 so I went with the stainless steel top that cost me $200. My table is 30"x60" wanted room for a future small egg next to the large. 

• I picked up a really nice piece of granite at a place who does kitchen counters. It is the right depth, but a bit too long on the width. It only covers the section to the left of the egg on table. Don't mind it too long but the cover does not fit properly. Going to cut it with a grinder and turbo diamond blade and should be G2G. Not bad for $50.
    $50 is a steal!!  I wish I could find a granite company that would sell at that price.  I've looked all over and most places won't even cut me a deal for their remnants.
  • RandallB
    RandallB Posts: 67

I am starting to work on a poured concrete countertop for my table.  

The granite estimates I got were toward $400 for a piece with the 21'' hole cut out.   So, I went back to the concrete idea.

I estimate about $50 in the mold materials (reusable) and around $30 materials or so in each "pour".   Coloring or stain material woudl be a little more.

I will post pictures as I progress and hopefully have success.