Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork shoulder cook time

Bmeier
Bmeier Posts: 16
edited June 2012 in Pork
I will be cooking my first pork shoulder on my new xl green egg in the next few days and have a question on cook time. I bought an 11 pound shoulder from costco and it is actually 2 peicies of meat ofnapproximately the same size. My question is should I base my cook time to start at about 11 hours (5.5 lbs x 2 hours per pound)? 

I will be using an indirect set up at 225. Any other tips are also greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bob

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Short answer-base your cook on the single weight/time of 5-6# at around 2 hrs/# at a dome of 250*F +/-.  There is a post below about first butt cook that should give you some additional info-enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

I just got done with one yesterday, my 2nd. I keep my grate temp (probe clipped to the grate next to the butt) at 250-260 and it took me 8.5 hours for a 6.65lb but. Check the thread you will see all the tips I got and some pics.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139999/6-65lb-boston-butt#latest

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• The only thing I know about cook times is that it can vary wildly.  I finally did figure out that keeping a cooked butt at temp is easy:  Just toss in a preheated cooler and insulate with bunched up newspapers.  It'll stay at temp for 5+ hours.  If you're making a sauce then heat it up, put it in bottles and put that in too.  Now I target my butt to finish at least five hours before I want it.  If it takes longer than expected then I have a five hour window to get it done, if it finishes early then I toss it in the cooler.  No more stress!

However I still need to make an initial estimate and for cooking at 230 I use: 12 hours for the first 4 pounds plus a half hour for each additional quarter pound.

If you want to be Mr. Science about it I remember deriving a formula in school that cooking time increased by the two-thirds power.  For example if you knew that a six pounder took 16 hours then a ten pounder would take 16* (10/6)**(2/3) = 22.5 hours

• GHS1282
    GHS1282 Posts: 2
    They are two seperate pieces so you do not double the time. 5-7 hours should do it reaching an internal tempature of 192 degrees.