Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Myron Mixon & Aluminum Pan Cooking

Options
SRGAU93
SRGAU93 Posts: 71
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Recently picked up Myron's cookbook & found many interesting recipes/ideas. Was hoping to adapt them for the BGE, but it seems like everything, so far is cooked in "deep aluminum pans put on the smoker". Chicken dishes, pork shoulder/butt, brisket, etc. Guessing indirect, or things would burn/scorch? For those who've attended his cooking class or tried his recipes, how have you done it? In a pan on grid indirect over plate setter?, above a pan indirect on grid?, etc. Thanks!

Comments

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

I bought the book also and noticed the same thing.  Really have not tried any of the recipes yet.

George

George
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Recently picked up Myron's cookbook & found many interesting recipes/ideas. Was hoping to adapt them for the BGE, but it seems like everything, so far is cooked in "deep aluminum pans put on the smoker". Chicken dishes, pork shoulder/butt, brisket, etc. Guessing indirect, or things would burn/scorch? For those who've attended his cooking class or tried his recipes, how have you done it? In a pan on grid indirect over plate setter?, above a pan indirect on grid?, etc. Thanks!
    Indirect for sure.  I bought his first book and used some of his recipes and the boy does love the aluminum foil pans.  You can use the recipe just like he states it, just set up for indirect at the temp he suggests.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I love Myron's book, and he's an amazing cook. Hard to argue with a champion. His technique is successful, but the process was mainly developed for simplifying his competition cooks on his offset pit. Other competitors cooking on these types of pits use a similar method. Lots can be learned from this technique.

But you have an Egg which is quite different. What are you trying to achieve??

Generally, briskets and butts can be cooked very nicely on the Egg indirect over a drip pan at 225-250 for rmany hours and will not only please your guests, but judges as well. Wrapping in foil is a great way to finish the cook once you have built your flavor crust. But you don't need no stinkin pan!

Have fun experimenting. Great learning experience.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I love Myron's book, and he's an amazing cook. Hard to argue with a champion. His technique is successful, but the process was mainly developed for simplifying his competition cooks on his offset pit. Other competitors cooking on these types of pits use a similar method. Lots can be learned from this technique.

Generally, briskets and butts can be cooked very nicely on the Egg indirect over a drip pan at 225-250 for rmany hours and will not only please your guests, but judges as well. Wrapping in foil is a great way to finish the cook once you have built your flavor crust. But you don't need no stinkin pan!

Chris
    Amen
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SRGAU93
    Options

Chris
    Thanks Chris! I'm not trying to achieve anything particular, just looking to make what I'm already doing good even better! I've done many butts & a couple briskets like you mention, on the grid or v-rack over a pan & they turned out great. I was just intrigued by the frequent use of aluminum pans, and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some unknown technique. Brisket is what I've done the least. It's turned out good, but I would like to find a way to improve it (i.e.. inject, baste while cooking, Myron's method, etc.).
  • SRGAU93
    Options
    Indirect for sure.  I bought his first book and used some of his recipes and the boy does love the aluminum foil pans.  You can use the recipe just like he states it, just set up for indirect at the temp he suggests.
    Thanks, may give it a try!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm all for trying new stuff and branching out so if you see something you like, go for it. The thing to keep in mind with competition food is that it is far from what you would expect as normal food. These guys engineer for one or 2 bites so the flavor is explosive (overpowering). They will throw 80-90% of a brisket out for a few bites to turn in to judges. That's why they don't care about losing all the bark by cooking in pans etc. they aren't going to use those pieces. They are doing that to keep the small bits they are going to turn in. to me, a brisket without bark is a roast. I do know lots of guys that braise and I like that flavor too (like Travis' brisket). I just prefer to cook them with lots of bark. I'll gladly eat any of it though if someone else is cookin' :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex-well said and a good reminder about the difference between the real and competition world.  I have enough of a challenge surviving in the real world :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex-well said and a good reminder about the difference between the real and competition world.  I have enough of a challenge surviving in the real world :)>-
    +1 to CT and Cap.  Cook to your crowd.  My wife LOVES steak and she wants it medium well, so I fix it medium well and if I get it past that she is fine with it.  No sense lecturing her about med-rare because she want like it.