Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you had to pick two Dizzy Pig Rubs to recommend..

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering picking up some rubs today while in the nearest town that sells DP and BGE rubs (80 mile trip).  I already have Raging River (super impressed, awesome on salmon) and the original Dizzy Dust (not impressed, have used many cheaper rubs in place of it after buying/trying it).  

If I were to buy 2 more Dizzy Pig rubs today, which ones would you suggest?  I cook steaks a lot, usually with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt.  I do ribs often, and plan to do more chicken and veggies in the future. 

I am pretty set on getting Cow Lick rub since I seem to hear nothing but good about it on steaks.  Can't decide on a second one to try, even with the DP brochure right in front of me.  I want something "different", as the Raging River blew me away with it's unique flavor.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Shakin the tree and Redeye Express
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Tsunami Spin but I use it mostly for poultry seafood

Red Eye express
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Depends what you like to cook, but Jamaican Firewalk is a favorite.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Our favorites are Cow Lick and Tsunami Spin.

Last weekend I tried Raising the Steaks on flank steak and was very pleasantly surprised. I bought it a while back but had never used it (maybe something about the packaging or look) I just always grabbed something else. It was great.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but the other one we really like right now is the Chili Lime rub from William Sonoma. Also very good.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    edited May 2012
    Order the sample pack online.  Then you can test them all before purchasing a larger bottle and eliminate 80 miles of driving. 
  • FxLynch
    I have a sample of Shakin the Tree that I haven't used yet, forgot all about it.  Two votes for Tsunami Spin, I'lll have to consider that.

MikeP, I wouldn't drive 80 just to get rubs, but since I'll be there anyways I will grab a couple.  I've considered the sample pack, might still do it one day.

Thanks for the input guys, looking forward to more.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Swamp Venom

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Buying a sample pack is a very good idea.

Your choice might depend some on what you like to cook. Personnally, a 50/50 mix of dizzy dust and swamp venom is my basic rub for pork. I use cowlick most often for beef.

But for a real hot kick on ribs, I go with firewalk, and for a good steak, raisin the steaks.

Shakin' the tree and tsunami spin are really good with mixed dishes, like re-fried rice, and lo mein.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    tsunami spin is pretty unique, not much to compare it with out there. swamp venom is  my pick. as for the dp coarse, i use it as a base rub and kick it up with heat or another dp rub like jamaican. i used to like the jamaican firewalk best but have settled on the swamp venom over time for a spicey rub
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Dizzy Dust and Pineapple Head.  I sprinkled pineapple head onto sliced pineapple and soaked in Makers Mark for a half hour, grilled at 400 on cast iron grates and it was fantastic!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Tsunami Spin no doubt. It's my favorite beside Raging River. Jamaican Firewalk is great too.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Pineapple Head. I use a lot of Pineapple Head ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dscheyd
    dscheyd Posts: 19
    tsunami spin and cow lick
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I really need to try some of Dizzy Pigs other flavors. As mentioned above I wasn't crazy about dizzy dust. May try a sample pack.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • BGE Convert
    BGE Convert Posts: 127
    I personally have them all:  However the top 2 that I use are Cow Lick and Raising the Steaks.  My next two would be Tsunami Spin and Swamp Venom.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I have the regular Dizzy Dust and RedEye.  The Dizzy Dust is pretty good.  The RedEye has been a loss on me as I've yet to find something that it works with.

I'm interested in trying the Swamp Venom as I've heard it's pretty hot, and would like to try the Cow Lick or Raging River as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Noted, I need to pick some up. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • brewcityegger
    brewcityegger Posts: 94
    edited May 2012
    I just picked up the sample pack and tried the red eye on some burgers last night. The smoke and coffee flavor mixed well together. Next time I would actually use a tad more seasoning than normal as it isn't very salty, also I would add a fried egg to it. So far I am pretty impressed with it. I can't wait to try the firewalk and swamp venom on some wings.

Well, bottoms up!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I used the Dizzy Dust on some ribs this weekend and it was a little mild for me.  My son, on the other hand, said they were the best ribs I had done in awhile.  

That is why they make chocolate and vanilla folks.
    :D
  • FxLynch
    I ended up getting Cow Lick, and the Tsunami spin. Thanks for all the input, I'll report back after using.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Tsunami and Swamp Venom
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I used the Dizzy Dust on some ribs this weekend and it was a little mild for me.  My son, on the other hand, said they were the best ribs I had done in awhile.  

That is why they make chocolate and vanilla folks.
    :D
    Swamp Venom has a punch

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bariccardi
    bariccardi Posts: 53
    Swamp Venom and Red Eye
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I did a sampler and my two favorites are: Raging River (on salmon) and Red Eye Express (on thick pork chops - used Griffin's recipe found at 
    http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/red-eye-express-pork-chops-on-the-bge/).  Dizzy Dust on pork shoulders is hard to beat as well.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I absolutely love swamp venom. Works on just about everything for me. Plus, I love the name. I also enjoy Red Eye, but mostly on brisket.
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Just went through my stash and have 3 bottles of red eye to 1 bottle of everything else. I guess it's red eye for me. I think it's because I love the richness the coffee seems to bring.

That said, I'm on the hunt for something more savory.
  • FxLynch
    I bought 2 2" thick rib eyes to try with the cowlick this weekend.  If I like these two, I might give the little sample set a try.  It does seem to be a cheap way to try them all.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Think I'm gonna try Swamp Venom and Tsunami next time I'm at the shop.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• mteele
    mteele Posts: 48
    I get to choose 3 DP shaker's with my demo this weekend at Dizzyfest. I think I'm going to choose the Pineapple Head, Raging River, and Jamaican Firewalk. Not into coffee or I would try the Red Eye. Hoping to try some foods with the different rubs when there. I've never tried any of their products before. May buy the sample pack while I am there as well.
  • JoeA
    JoeA Posts: 31
    Raising the steaks, Shakin' the tree, & pineapple head.