Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Needing some new knives...

Options
GADuckaholic
GADuckaholic Posts: 33
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I have been using a cheap set of steak knives that we got as a wedding present and some other cheap knives that were hand-me-downs. Since I got my Egg several months back and have begun doing a large share of the cooking, I see the need for a quality knife set. That being said, I can't afford a $300+ set. I am looking more in the  $100-$150 range. What do you guys recommend that I look at in that range?

Comments

• CAPTBIGJ
    CAPTBIGJ Posts: 6
    Options
    I know they are expensive, But my wife and I (especially me since i do the cooking/ grilling) enjoy our Cutco knife set   we keep adding knives one buy one to keep cost down.  we now have a full set plus extras.  also the forever warranty is awesome. The in laws have had their   set for over twenty years.
    Just  a thought.

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

I would not buy a set. All you need is an 8" chef knife and a paring knife. Maybe a good knife for cutting bread. All other knives are added luxuries.

Steak knifes are not need with all the slow and low fall of the bone cooking that you can do on the egg. JK

• killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Options
    Plus one on the Cutco.
     All their knives are great, but agreed that you need a couple good chef knives and a pairing knife, but also the steak knives. 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    MikeP624 nailed it.
    buy a decent chef's knife.  you might want to get other knives after that, but you don't 'need' to. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    No joking here, but I've had a set of Miracle Blade III's for about 8 years and they're still sharp as the day I got them. I went back and bought another set for $25 or so. 

Recently, my wife bought me a knife set from The Palm restaurant. I think she found it at Ross or Kohl's. It's very nice, and think she paid under $50 for it. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • deadhead
    deadhead Posts: 1
    Options

Lamson & Goodnow of Shellburne Falls Mass. has really nice knives and at a very reasonable price & I beleive they are made right there.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Learn to sharpen.  If you can, you can sharpen a cheap knife to be razor sharp with very little effort, and it will perform as well as any expensive knife.  Those of us that buy expensive knives do so mainly for the appreciation of the art.  However, my favorite knife is a cheap $60 Tojiro ITK Shirogami Wa-Gyoto 210 mm at chefsknivestogo.com

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    check out the knife set offered on www.texasbbqrub.com

I got them for Christmas last year and have been very satisfied with them. They use the knives on the competition team, so they must be pretty good.
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    +1 on the learn to sharpen.  A cheap knife that is well sharpened will cut just as well as an expensive knife.  It just may not hold the edge as long... which means more sharpenings.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Weak as it is you may want to try the search here.  There was an extensive knife posting within the past couple of weeks that was very in-depth.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Weak as it is you may want to try the search here.  There was an extensive knife posting within the past couple of weeks that was very in-depth.
    Lou, I was amazed at that thread.  Some of the members here really, really were serious about their knives.  I enjoyed reading it, but it was way above my paygrade.
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Options
    Steak knives:

I got my other knives from here:  (like said earlier, you really only need a chefs and pairing)

I got the "gekko" knives made by JCK.  These may be a little high but they are awesome knives!  They come sharp as a razor blade, and mine are just getting to the point of needing sharpened after using them for over 3 years...
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    The steak knives in the above post are serrated.  I would never buy a serrated knife (except a bread knife) because I could not sharpen it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    I will go with another vote for cutco.  My wife and I bought a set 14 yrs ago and they are great.  The selling point for me was the set the inlaws got in '73 ish?   Still going strong.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • GADuckaholic
    Options

VI, I am definitely interested in learning more about proper sharpening. I have some knives that i think could be decent if I knew what I was doing. Are the any resources you recommend?

Learn to sharpen.  If you can, you can sharpen a cheap knife to be razor sharp with very little effort, and it will perform as well as any expensive knife.  Those of us that buy expensive knives do so mainly for the appreciation of the art.  However, my favorite knife is a cheap $60 Tojiro ITK Shirogami Wa-Gyoto 210 mm at chefsknivestogo.com

• Village Idiot
    edited May 2012
    Options

VI, I am definitely interested in learning more about proper sharpening. I have some knives that i think could be decent if I knew what I was doing. Are the any resources you recommend?

GAD,
    There was an exhausting thread about sharpening not long ago.  The question you must answer for yourself is "what is sharp enough".  Folks like Lit and I go for the ultimate sharpening, and that can only be achieved with stoning.  Others will push their electric sharpening devices.  Really, it's up to the individual.

I use The Bob Kramer Sharpening Kit.  Click here.

Here is a sharpening video.  Click here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• LSUTiger1226
    Options
    I got shun knives for Christmas 2010 & I love them it was a set but only had chefs knife, bread knife ,paring knife & sharing steel. These knives are razor sharp
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Steak knives:

I got my other knives from here:  (like said earlier, you really only need a chefs and pairing)

I got the "gekko" knives made by JCK.  These may be a little high but they are awesome knives!  They come sharp as a razor blade, and mine are just getting to the point of needing sharpened after using them for over 3 years...
    Some gorgeous knives. I may pick up a cleaver.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Sharpening: - by Leonard Lee, has everything you would want to know about sharpening.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Another +1 for get a sharpener. Before I started buying better knives, I sharpened my old ones. The Sabatiers showed great improvement, the Chicago cutlery knives were quite useable, and my ten-cent second hand store steak knives do their job just fine. To learn to use the sharpening kit, I bought a dozen or so knives at 2nd hand stores, cost maybe $5. Once sharpened, ended up with 4 that get lots of use.

Also as above, don't look for a set. Concentrate on a chef's knife, and a parer/petty knife. My best chef's, and petty cost $290 together. They get scary sharp, and stay that way a long time. They are a pleasure to use, and I expect my kids will be using them long after I'm gone.
  • trip150
    trip150 Posts: 55
    Options
    another + 1 for cutco.  They are not cheap, but you can get a petite carver and the small chef knife and you will be good to go.  Can build around them.  The table knives are really nice too but you're going to drop +$30 each.  Might be able to get them on ebay.  A good knife will save you a good deal over the long-term.  
  • eddiepro
    eddiepro Posts: 42
    Options
    http://edgemaker.com/

It was a hand me down from my folks... but damn! I know nothing about sharpening, but this is easy and it works!
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Go buy a Sakai yusuke wa gyuto stainless in a 240mm, and look into 1 or two Japanese waterstones, or just send to a professional sharpener. Jon at Japanese Knife Imports has videos that can help you learn technique and even online classes.Kitchen Knife forum could help you immensely just go read some threads there.
    One good chefs knife will be the best investment you could ever make. I actually prefer a 270mm. The length on these types of knives is unnoticeable they are very light, nimble, and sharp. FYI just put this for the posters benefit not to create a debate.