Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone that can give advice on stain/pain/varnish etc for my table?

Options
FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited May 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Hey guys,

I built my table last fall from pressure treated pine (perhaps not the best choice, but it's built).  I've never built an outdoor table or furniture of any kind so I wasn't really informed on the best wood, and definitely don't know much about the various finishes.

What are my options, and what are the pros/cons of them?  The table sets outside on the patio with no roof, but I cover the whole table with a grill cover when it's not in use. I'd really like to treat it once then not worry about it.  Multiple coats are fine of course, but once I'm done I really don't want to have to redo it yearly.

I'd also like something that darkens it up some, as the dark red and dark brown tables I see on here are very nice looking.

Thanks in advance for the info, and again please help me understand why the treatment you suggest is the best option.

Frank

Comments

• GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    Options
    I just finished staining mine with Olympic stain+sealer semi-transparent redwood tone.  I am debating if I am going to hit it with a few coats of spar urethane once it is dry.  The olympic made the pressure treated look better than I expected it would.  I went with pressure treated because I hope to build an outdoor kitchen in the next few years and I didn't want to spend a fortune on an egg table I won't have use for in the near future.
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

Normally, if it's pressure treated wood it should be left well enough alone.  It's designed to withstand the elements. 

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    Sort of the same question, anybody knows what stain is BGE using on the new cedar egg mates? I have a cedar table and I would like to stain it to match, it's semi transparent brown-ish.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    I ended up going with the Dark Tung Oil from Real Milk Paint Company.  Just ordered it tonight, not cheap since shipping was $15.50.  For 32oz of stain and 32oz of citrous thinner the total was $57.  I love the look they show on pressure treated wood, and the properties of tung oil.

I'll post pictures of the process and end results when I get the products, and get time to use them.

Frank
  • spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    Options
    Spar urethane is made to protect wood from water. If applied correctly it encapsulates the wood. Three coats are typically recommended but will last for years depending on wear. Check out some of the wooden boat building sites and see how they finish their woodwork to make it weather tight.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    As soon as I get my xl with mates I am putting a coat of captains varnish on the mates. Sand it lightly occasionally and adding more. I will buy it at west marine which I can drive to, but the also have online.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Best finish for pressure treated is Sikkens SRD. If you want a paint look, go with sikkens cetol. Looks like paint, but wears like iron because it is a solid stain.
    Mark Annville, PA