Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey on the Egg

Options
GaryLange
GaryLange Posts: 418
edited May 2012 in Poultry
I put a 12-14lb Turkey on the Egg at 350 degrees at 12:00pm and by 2:00pm it was registering 160 degrees and done. I had figured it would be closer to 4:00pm. Why did it cook so fast.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i did a poll a few years ago on turkey cooks at 325, 12 minutes to about 17a pound  was the span at 325. would be quicker at 350. mine usually go quicker and im not sure if its because i cook  a couple birds less than 16 or because i usually cook fresh birds over frozen, or if its just my setup
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    2 hours sounds about right to me for a 12 to 14 at 350.    I did a 20lbs on Thanksgiving with an cheap smoker in 3 hours.      Since I have the egg now I bet it will be better
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    I have found that the breast gets done quicker than the thigh. Where are you measuring your temp at? When I have done that size they usually cook in 2 1/2 hours and I have found the thighs to be the last to get done.

john
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I guess with the level of efficiency of the BGE it takes less then any other way I have done a Turkey. I will make notes on the length of time and adjust things for next time.
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I had it in the Breast but checked it with an instant thermometer and the thigh was 180 degrees and the breast was 161 just as the other unit read.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I always do 12 lb spatchcocked, cook direct at 400 and raised. This always cooks about an hour to hour fifteen.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bam7722
    bam7722 Posts: 5
    Options
    How would you suggest slow clooking it? Im doing a huge fathers day thing, got a pork butt, a 20lb turkey and 4 racks of ribs. Ill make it fit in my XL, but my cooking temp for the butt will be 235 for 15-18 hours untill it gets to 200 internally. and the ribs at 235 for about 6-8 hours. Anyone know how long a turkey will take?? lol
  • GaryLange
    Options
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I would put a Thermometer in the Turkey Breast and watch that first as it will most likely take longer then the ribs, which will take maybe 3-5 hours. You can place the Turkey in a Cooler wrapped in foil and covered with towels. The wait for the Pork Butt.

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I am about to light up the egg for a beer can turkey- have been reading about how some of you guys do it legs up which makes sense to me so the breast meat will be in a hotter part of the grill than the thigh meat, but I haven't been able to find a set up for it- any ideas?  Thanks!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • GaryLange
    Options
    When I did mine I used a rack and just set it in and it cooked to perfection. Maybe a little sooner then I expected but the Breast was 160 and the thighs were 180 just like it was suppose to be.